One of the worst GM cars in history
- Transmission blew at 65,000 miles, 4600$ at GM Goodwrench 2422$ for the transmission and the rest for other faulty thing (like over-rusted oil pan!)!!!
- Engine blew at 75,000 miles! 2.821.35$ for a rebuilt (714$ of prior tune-up at GM Goodwrench didn't save it)
- Two alternators; 276$ each.
- Door latch + trunk broke at 80,000 Miles.
- One tie rod 52$ at 80,000 miles.
- A/C never worked well, cost more than 600$ in reparation over time (compressor, cooling fluid, etc.)... windows does better job.
- Wiper motor broke.
- You have to fight with the seat-belt... the problem is common on the Trans Sport.
- Transmission oil cooler broke (excessive rust) at 120,000 miles; 216$
- The rebuilt engine start to burn oil after 35,000 miles.
- About 3 sets of brake used, 3 batteries, 2 windshields (very expensive; 550 to 700$), 2 alternators, and of course 2 engines and 2 transmissions.
- So many little problems that you just forget because of the major things!
The van was driven carefully and slowly... but anyway the 3.1L is not able to deliver adequate power. Hills are hard to climb.
In its actual condition: the suspension works like a trampoline, the engine runs OK but the exhaust fumes smell horrible, and the MPG is not that good... but tolerable. It always starts in cold conditions, and I found the windshield broken after removing snow on it.
Good for camping and outdoor activity (except off-road driving!)
The heater is still super hot after 13 winters.
My family had over time: 3 Impalas, 3 GMC C15/Sierra trucks, a Rabbit, a Jetta, a Barracuda, a Toronado, a Jaguar XJ6 and a Mazda 3. And I can honestly say that the Trans Sport is the worst of them all on every level.
I've got it for free from my mother who paid for all those repairs. The only rational thing to do with it is to drive until everything broke down... which will come soon.
On the positive side, you will never ever see rust on it, but don't look underneath!
Excellent beater if you pay less than 250$ for it...
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 24th March, 2008