2006 Pontiac Vibe Reviews - Page 2 of 3

2006 Pontiac Vibe Base FWD from North America

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Previous carToyota Tacoma

Summary:

Reliable, fun, and easy to drive without the high cost of most

I've had 2 water leaks inside the car.

When I first purchased the car, water leaked in onto the passenger side dash, the dealer fixed this problem the very first time.

My 2nd water leak has been into the rear-seat floorboard on the drivers side. It has been into the dealership 5 times trying to find this leak. I just got the car back yesterday so maybe this will do the trick. Supposedly it was leaking from the sunroof and they've fixed it now. Again, we'll see.

General Comments:

I'm 6'2 and 200 pounds and find the car to be very comfortable. It has more headroom & legroom than most of the other cars I've ever owned or considered.

It drives and handles well both in the city and on the highway. The power of the front-wheel drive & automatic seem perfect for both city/highway driving. It is no rocket in acceleration, but it's not super slow either. I can run 75-80 mph very comfortably on the highway, and yes I am able to pass people with ease.

MPG has been consistently around 27-30 in the city, and 30-33, with a one-time 35 on the highway. The 35 has only happened once so I'm thinking I must have had quite the tailwind.

My car came completely loaded with everything but leather. (not sure if leather is even an option, but I wouldn't have wanted it anyway) The factory upgraded stereo sounds really good to me, especially on the occasion that I want to listen to something really loud.

Certain areas of Missouri can be very hilly, so I do not use the cruise control on the highway in these areas. The 4 speed auto downshifts too much and the engine winds up in these circumstances. To be honest I almost never use cruise control, even on longer trips for this very reason. I feel that the constant downshifting is too hard on the transmission. A 5 speed auto would be a great thing in my opinion.

The paint is a little weak and seems to chip easily. But several friends of mine in the autobody business tell me that the paint standards for most auto manufacturers have really dropped in recent years. Cutting costs I'm told.

The car is easy to drive, holds anything and everything I've ever wanted to haul, and I've never questioned whether or not it'll start.

Before I purchased my Vibe I read all kinds of reviews, and 99% of them were positive. Taking the chance seemed easy as you can't seem to go wrong with reviews like that.

If you can look past a few weak points, the strong points of this car more than make up for it so far.

Review Date: 28th March, 2009

2006 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8L from North America

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 1.8L Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

Practical and reliable

- Air conditioning failed after first winter.

- Front driver mat shifts frequently.

General Comments:

This car has been excellent in every way. To list a few of the strengths:

- Gas mileage has been consistent 8-9L/100KM (26-30mpg) with about 70% city driving. Highway driving I've seen closer to 7L/100KM (33mpg).

- It starts first time, every time.

- The car has good acceleration around town.

- Comfortable for long highway drives.

- The hatchback provides enough space to bring home everything from three people and an elliptical to 42" plasma TV.

Weaknesses:

- Air conditioner isn't strong enough for tropical climates, but has been acceptable in the temperate area I live in.

- 1.8L engine has moments at higher speeds where it would be nice to have a little more power.

- Paint tends to chip easily.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2008

28th Aug 2008, 15:45

I agree with the paint issue. Kinda krummy. : (

26th Jul 2009, 22:23

Update #1

After 2 1/2 years.

The gas mileage has been pretty consistent.

The only real issue I've had so far has been a faulty ECU (or PCM) that was replaced under warranty. With this repair I noticed an improved in pickup on the highway.

Aside from the previous issue with the ECU, this car has cranked on the first try 99.9% of the time. (with that 0.1% being human error rather than fault of the vehicle)

Purchased a set of low end winter tires, these made a huge difference in winter and wet driving from the stock Eagle RSAs. So far this car has been what I expected.. reliable, low maintenance and fun to drive.

26th Jul 2011, 23:56

Update #2

4 1/2 years of ownership.

Shroud that protects the gas tank on the passenger side has rusted and come loose. Vibration sound was deafening at low speed or idle. Replacement required, short term fix with plastic ties.

First flat tire. I never even realized I had a flat until I pulled off the highway and could feel the car pulling to the side. Replaced all four tires.

This car continues to start consistently, burn the same amount of gas, and aside from a few paint chips on the hood that are starting to rust, looks like new.

2nd Sep 2012, 00:53

Update #3:

Closing in on six years of ownership.

This car has done everything I've expected and more, in the past six years.

Maintaining this car thus far has been inexpensive. It has required very little aside from four oil changes a year, new wiper blades once a year, a new engine air filter each year, a set of all seasons and a set of snow tires. To describe my experience with this car in one word... Dependable.