2003 Porsche 911 Turbo X50 3.6 twin turbo from Spain

Summary:

Jet fighter

Front radiators and A/C radiators replaced.

Rear tyres.

Bonnet resprayed (stone chips).

General Comments:

Rotten front radiators (very expensive to change), and A/C radiators also leaking, including coolant lines.

Amazing performance.

Factory X50 model with 450bhp with DMS remap to 525 BHP.

Interior a bit cheap.

Immaculate, so fear of parking in car parks - it's a toy really; you need another car unless you want it trashed.

Review Date: 15th January, 2014

2003 Porsche 911 Carrera from North America

Summary:

An amazing car with serious engine reliability issues

All the below issues occurred with 6 months of owning the car:

1) Mysterious clanking noise accompanied by engine failure light - cost me 3K to diagnose and fix (including compression tests). Further research online pointed to an impending RMS issue.

2) Gearbox/synchro transmission problems. Popping out of 4th gear. Estimated to cost $8K-$12K to repair.

3) Alternator went bad.

4) Fan belt went bad.

5) As part of general maintenance, I replaced the oil and filter, front/rear brake pads, shocks and tires.

General Comments:

I bought the car off lease and it had all the records. Unfortunately I ended up paying approximately $7,000 in repairs in 7 months.

I thought I was done when the shifter started popping out of fourth gear. I had a 997 shifter installed, along with having the gear oil changed in hopes of solving the problem. Unfortunately it ended up being a gear box, and/or transmission issue. I later found out from numerous blogs and forums online that this issue is very common with the 996. I was quoted $8,000 to replace and install a new gearbox and $12,000 to fix worn synchros in the engine/transmission. That would have made my total repairs $16,000-$20,000 for less than 7 months of ownership. No thanks.

I unloaded the car. What a waste. Stay away from all 996. I heard that the 993 and all previous iterations of the car are great. Unfortunately this was my third Porsche (1984 944, 2000 Boxster, 2003 911) and once you drive a Porsche you are hooked. I am now looking at purchasing a 1985 911. The 3.2 911 Carrera series from 1983-89 are supposed to be the most reliable Porsche series ever. Wish me luck.

Review Date: 8th November, 2008

23rd Jun 2009, 10:45

Do you think that your problems with your Porsche was the result of abuse from the previous owner?

17th Nov 2009, 02:23

If you've not purchased your 3.2L 911 yet, please be on the lookout for lower mileage models, for after 200,000 miles, the motor needs to be gone through, and rebuilds are quite expensive. Other than that, happy motoring.

2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 Coupe 3,600 cc from Belgium

Summary:

Drives great but surprisingly poor reliability

The engine had to be replaced after 70.000 kms.

Non working satellite navigation system/ CD reader.

Various oil leaks (had to be towed twice to a garage).

A couple of electrical faults, eg non working light switch.

The car body, the front in particular, gets damaged very easily by chippings.

Generally, the manufacturer is unwilling to help much beyond their (mean) 2 year warranty (Note: a KIA comes with a 7 year warranty!!), which leaves you with hefty bills.

General Comments:

I love the looks of the car and its performance.

Seats are not particularly comfortable, though, in particular for long journeys. Not great for my back.

I thought the purchase of this car made sense from the standpoint of both my heart and my head. I was rather mistaken on the latter as the car proved far less reliable than what its myth suggests. When talking to other Porsche owners, my experience does not appear to be an isolated case.

Review Date: 20th August, 2008

18th Sep 2008, 12:48

Actually your review is an isolated case. Not one problem with my 2003 996 Carrera 2 coupe. Only thing is the car goes through tires like crazy. Had to replace the rear tires at 15,000 miles. The car drives like a dream... only thing is the maintenance can get pricy. Try not to buy anything from Porsche unless you have to... especially tires. They are marked up by at least 30% over anyone out there.