19th Dec 2010, 19:36

Hey. I found a 1987 924 S for $4295. It has 74k miles and the owner says it runs great. I am only 16, and am looking at this as a first car. What should I do? And how much will the insurance cost?

26th Jan 2011, 06:32

I had an '87 924S for a little over 3 years, and driving it was one of the great pleasures of my life. Unfortunately due to extreme deteriorating roads in Massachusetts (and repair cost from driving on them), I found myself driving it less and less, until I was convinced to sell it last summer. The new owner got himself a great, well maintained delight, and I still miss it.

17th Apr 2012, 22:04

I bought an '88 924S Club Sport new, and drove it until 2008. During that time it required nothing more than routine maintenance (which includes periodic timing belt/water pump replacements, as nearly all cars do at about 75,000-mile intervals).

It is one of the best-balanced cars out there, with handling that is hard to beat, and was more fun to drive than the newer Boxster.

The engine is bulletproof, and will give reliable service for 200,000 miles or more.

I recently reclaimed the car, and expect to restore it to use again as a daily driver.

6th May 2012, 22:53

I don't think you know that these model Porsches were made by VW. Porsche only owned the design.

7th May 2012, 14:09

I don't think you know that Porsche DID make these models. They designed them for VW, which VW subsequently decided not to use, so Porsche did. The first 924's had Audi engines, but the last of the 924S and the 944's used Porsche engines.

8th May 2014, 00:49

The 924 (without the S) was a part of the whole VW thing because of the crappy 2.0 motor it had in it. The 924S (notice the S) was Porsche's design, featuring a 2.5L I-4 motor designed by none other than Porsche.

8th May 2014, 15:19

Regardless of the old VW/Audi engine of the first few 924's, I have always liked the look of that car. Its styling is very coherent, not a line out of place, not like so many cars these days, even luxury or sports, which look like they were designed by a committee. At least in usability terms, the old engine, being a VW/Audi, is easy to find parts for and repair, for not that much money.