1987 Porsche 944 Reviews - Page 5 of 6

1987 Porsche 944 951 2.5 turbo Gasoline from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5 turbo Gasoline Manual
Most recent distance182000 miles
Previous carPorsche 944

Summary:

A high performance bargain

Motor mounts replaced at 120,000 miles.

Clutch replaced at 181,000 miles.

Computer replaced at 160,000 miles.

Heater and air conditioning fan repaired at 181,000.

Seats show very little wear.

Body is in excellent condition.

Car runs and performs perfectly.

General Comments:

The engine is strong from 0 revolutions per minute through 6,500 revolutions per minute. This is my 3rd 951 and I have owned one 911 Porsche. This and the other 951s are excellent.

Very strong at 4,000 revolution per minute. The car is faster than most new cars from 0 to 60 miles per hour including Mustangs, Camaros and Trans Am. It will keep up with C5 Corvettes, and runs away from C4 and older Corvettes. I love it. It is very expensive to properly maintain but well worth it for the thrill it delivers.

Review Date: 21st January, 2003

13th Apr 2008, 22:27

If it is stock it will not keep up with a C5 Corvette. Even a Mustang would walk your 944.

1987 Porsche 944 S 2.5 liter 16v from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.5 liter 16v Manual
Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

Most practical Real sports car that's affordable as well

The water pump failed.

The radiator cooling fan switch failed. This caused the fan to run continuously.

The brake master cylinder needed replaced.

The CV joints on the drivers side axel failed.

The steering rack was replaced because of excessive leakage.

The windshield washer pump has failed. I replaced it with a generic item for $9.00.

The rubber hub of the clutch disk failed. I replaced it with a spring centered turbo clutch disk.

The rear shocks were worn out. I replaced them with stock Boge units.

I had all timing and balance belts plus rollers replaced.

The cam chain tensioner has been replaced. This was done as a precaution.

The spark plug wires have been replaced.

General Comments:

This car is only car I have. It is driven daily and driven pretty hard.

The car was not regularly maintained by the previous owner. Consequently I have spent quite a lot on repairs and preventative maintenance to keep it in good shape.

I have wanted one of these cars since the came out in the 80's. I am very happy with the car's performance, comfort and build quality. I travel a lot and drive a variety of new rental cars. I always compare their power, build quality, and handling to my 15 year old Porsche. The only thing better I have experience in new cars over my Porsche is that new car smell. Old German cars tend to acquire a funky mechanical odor as they age.

I Love the handling of my car and it's still pretty impressive that Porsche was getting 190HP out of this 4 Cylinder engine 15 years ago.

Speaking of the engine. It still runs 4.5 bar on the oil pressure and does not burn any oil. The Engine still runs strong and acts like it will easily go another 100,000 miles.

This car is actually pretty practical with it's fold down rear seat and hatch back. I have hauled some pretty unbelievable things in it.

I plan on keeping it for years to come.

When it finally dies I will probably look for a newer low mileage 944S2 or 968 to replace it.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2002

1987 Porsche 944 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carFord Probe

Summary:

Modern looks and performance with yesterday's price

The sunroof gears were stripped out (very common as they are plastic/nylon)

The battery was not charging properly and I was getting a warning light. This was solved by replacing the voltage regulator. Very easily done in this car since the engineer's were thinking and made it external to the alternator and the car has a built in alternator test mode!

Clutch is feeling weak and is an expensive replacement compared to other 5 speed vehicle.

General Comments:

Beautiful, fun to drive, beautiful, it's a Porsche and did I mention its beautiful? The car is so graceful and responsive. It has become my daily driver out of pure enjoyment for the vehicle.

Review Date: 13th September, 2002