1999 Porsche Boxster Reviews

1999 Porsche Boxster Standard 2.5 from UK and Ireland

Model year1999
Year of manufacture1999
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Terrific Handling. Porsche really thought this car through

Nothing so far, but early days.

General Comments:

I've wanted a Boxster since they first came out, but for some reason I never quite got round to buying one until now.

The first major plus is the handling. It is excellent. I've driven modern Ferrari's and in handling terms (on ordinary roads) the Boxster compares very well indeed.

Performance feels very quick indeed. You get a real sensation of speed even if you are not going that quickly really. I used to own a TVR Chimaera HC which surprisingly didn't feel much quicker than the Boxster, although obviously it was.

Build quality is good and everything works well. Plastic window in the roof is new, but looks like it won't last long.

Ride (on 17 inch alloys) is a little harsh and the gear change is a little slower than I thought it would be (first is a bit notchy).

Overall, very pleased. Personally, I prefer the look of this model to the latest Boxster. If I had the extra cash I probably get a 996 but for now the Boxster offers real performance and good value.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2005

9th Jan 2010, 07:04

I have a 99 Boxster too. So well made and executed. But, I much preferred the Lotus Elan Turbo I had before it. Open top driving ain't the same without rattle, bang and whoosh!!!

24th Jan 2010, 20:40

My Boxster 1999 blew the engine at 42.000 miles

I read that 20% of the Boxster engines won't pass 50.000 miles

For a car so expensive that's a crime.

1999 Porsche Boxster 2.5 petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 2.5 petrol

I'm still waiting.

General Comments:

An absolute joy to drive though it sometimes feels a bit flat mid-range when accelerating.

Review Date: 27th May, 1999