2002 Porsche Boxster Reviews

2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.2 liter from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 3.2 liter Manual
Previous carToyota Tacoma

Summary:

The best sports car for the money!

Have had to replace the rear main seal, which was still under warranty from the previous owner.

General Comments:

The car delivers more than I expected. Acceleration is quick and handling is amazing. It never fails to put a smile on my face each time I hop in, turn the ignition, and put the top down! It still turns heads.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2010

2002 Porsche Boxster S 2.4L from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 2.4L Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Eclipse

Summary:

This car is made to drive!

Nothing.

General Comments:

The 2002 Porsche Boxster S, as I would assume all Porsche Boxster models, wants to have fun. Upon purchasing this car I realized just how much enjoyable a drive to work could be. Its like being a teenager again. I don't think there could be a mass produced car that is more fun to drive for the price.

Acceleration is great, handling is amazing, trannsmission is smooth and tight. The mid-engine completely out performance other rear or front wheel drive cars when it comes to handling. It may not be the fastest car out there, but put the top down, head into the mountains and you will experience what a roadster was meant to be.

Porsche is about performance and driving... this car lives up to its name.

Review Date: 29th March, 2007

2002 Porsche Boxster from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

Excellent in the dry, rubbish in the wet

Funny engine signs keep coming on and I have to take it to the dealer to turn them off.

General Comments:

From looking at all the reviews, you'd think this was a great road holder - I disagree, my car has spun twice in the last 2 weeks. The last spin was on a minor bend doing about 50mph, where the back end went. Being in the slow lane, I could not pull it straight without hitting something, so I let it go with the result of completely smashing the front side and rear off the barrier. One of the poorest handling cars in the wet that I have had.

Also over 100 mph, the car feels very insecure running at these speeds. It's like my son's Punto when it does about 75.

Maybe there is something wrong with it, but I had it tested about 3 weeks ago and it came out clean.

I don't trust it now.

Review Date: 31st March, 2006

5th Mar 2007, 12:18

Yes, if you don't have traction-control then the 3.2S can certainly bite you if you over-cook it in the wet. In the wet you definitely need to get those wheels straight before accelerating! A couple of times my rear-end has given me a suprise with a quick 'shimmy' when I've been day dreaming! You definitely need to get used to the car's wet weather limits; keeping the revs steady through the bends helps too.

In the dry it is fantastic, being very predictable and easy to judge. As far a stability at speed; I live in Germany and have had a GPS indicated 161mph before I had to lift-off for traffic ahead. No prblems with stability, cross-winds notwithstanding. That's the Manufacturer's top speed!

I think on the 100RON fuel we have out here now, it will make 165mph on a long quiet stretch. Not bad for a car you can now get for well under £20k! Something an M5 or E55 won't do if it's governed like most are in Germany!

Don't try it it in the wet though! Unfortunately most Germans don't bother slowing down on the Autobahn in the rain. They like tailgating too...fools.

9th Apr 2007, 01:47

Rather funny comment as I drive boxter as a daily driver and I live in north part of Finland where we have snow about 5-month a year. I don't have PSM and I have never been in a skid that I could not correct. Perhaps there is something seriously wrong with your car stability.

23rd Jan 2008, 09:43

Let off the gas in the turns. This car comes with Z rated tires and handles very well my uncle has one. I've never heard anyone complain about its handling in the rain. In Canada I see people driving Boxsters in the snow.

31st May 2008, 08:10

Drive an Audi Quattro; it is great in the rain.

28th Dec 2008, 00:18

You might need wet traction tires; Michelin Pilot on my Mercedes and they work well. 'Z' tires are great if you are driving at high speed in dry weather. Please let us know if they make a difference.

19th Oct 2009, 15:53

"Maybe there is something wrong with it,"...

Well there probably is now since it was smashed into a barrier, possibly due to that old standby problem "driver error" :)

1st Feb 2011, 19:30

"my porsche's tail goes out in the wet..."

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you might benefit from some advanced driving lessons. You also have to understand what kind of car you're driving.

No offense intended, just telling the truth.