2009 Proton Saga Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2009 Proton Saga M Line 1.3 A from Malaysia

Model year2009
Engine and transmission 1.3 A Automatic

Summary:

Unsatisfactory

1. Rattling sound here and there on doors/windows and dashboard.

2. Rear left door not fully aligned when closed.

3. Power steering oil leak and replaced under warranty.

4. The most annoying problem is high pitched jet sound is heard when driving. Even can hear it during idle. Problem is confirmed, but manufacturer/service centre is not able to solve the problem.

General Comments:

The ride comfort is very poor.

Review Date: 5th January, 2010

2009 Proton Saga BLM 1.3 from Malaysia

Model year2009
Previous carHyundai Atoz

Summary:

I get more but I pay less, but I want more low rpm torque!

No problem.

General Comments:

PROS

- The Saga BLM is very comfortable in terms of ride and handling.

- Very good fuel consumption if we travel long journeys.

- Very good performance for the highway.

- Comfy silence below 110kmh.

- Air conditioning is colder than overseas cars.

- Generous cabin/boot.

- Amazingly and excellent at climbing hills

- The brake is designed to force you to brake earlier and be more careful, force you not to tailgate people. This I treat as a pro, :)

- Tons of modifications in Malaysia.

CONS

- Poor engine torque below 3 rpm. This is a typical campro characteristic, and I don't know why it's designed like this.

- Drive by wire delay. It's annoying

- Fuel inefficient for busy city drives.

- Engine noise above 110kmh.

- Slightly not a good looker, doesn't look cool in Malaysia.

Review Date: 11th December, 2009

4th Feb 2010, 09:22

It does not look cool because it is the cheapest 1.3 liter car in Malaysian market. It is however a beautiful car in my eyes compared to PERODUA VIVA or MyVi.

1st Jul 2010, 11:51

May I know what is the petrol cost per km in general? I heard from my friend that the petrol consumed for a new Saga is excessively higher than any other "cheap" Proton car, i.e. Iswara, Satria. Is that true? I thought Proton, cheap car, should be petrol-save?

I would like to hear from those who are using Saga.

Thanks.

4th Jul 2010, 01:30

Manual version is much cheaper than automatic... I really love the manual version, and much more cost effective than a MyVi.

30th Dec 2010, 07:33

2008 Model Automatic P. Saga 1.3 Petrol Consumption surprisingly high - average 20 cents per kilo (RM50 for 250 KM) compared to a Honda City IDSI as low as 12 cents (RM 60 for 500KM).

Starting also very slow and noisy..- like dragging before auto changing gear... that is guggling the petrol I suppose..

Anyone agree with me or my car exception...

Besides.. can do anything to improve the fuel consumption?

16th Jun 2011, 23:12

How can this car be "Simply Better"?

Feels more like it was simply made.

If air-conditioning was the priority, one hasn't really owned another car make today.

The car is more suited for town use or short A-to-B distances, as it can get very uncomfortable during long journeys.

2009 Proton Saga BLM 1.3 campro from Malaysia

Model year2008
Engine and transmission 1.3 campro Automatic
Previous carToyota RAV4

Summary:

Practical and stunning!!

Alarm problem.

General Comments:

I was underrating this car. I am still owning the RAV4, just felt like buying a national product, after special inspection and advice from fellow friends. Before this, I keep on underrating national products, but hey, I was wrong. This car is better than a Myvi and it accelerates fast.

My sister wrecked the car before it was even 1k km on it. However, she was not hurt in the accident. The body was so tough that it was only damaged slightly, even it was bumped by motorcycle at a high speed. Right now, my BLM is still in the workshop, waiting to be repaired. I was so frustrated, but luckily my sister was safe.

Review Date: 25th September, 2009

29th Jun 2011, 09:59

With all your due respect, have you actually driven a Proton Saga?

Acceleration is good and even better than Myvi? What are you talking about? I think you sat in the wrong car and thought it's a Proton Saga, as whatever you said is almost opposite what others are saying about the same car. All others including Road & Track and many other reliable sources as well.

Please change or delete your misleading review, before more people get victimized by this stupid car.

6th Jul 2011, 21:57

Saga BLM/FL has the worse fuel consumption in its class.

Noisy hi-revving engine.

What next, IAFM 1.6L?

The auto tranny has some "lagging" issue that Proton would never want to admit, while they are "offering" CVT as an option. They should be doing a total recall instead.

Sadly, the car's build & finish are still carried on from the old Saga.

13th Jun 2012, 11:04

No one, and I mean NO ONE who owns a Saga would agree with your review. I bought the 2010 brand new M line, and was highly disappointed until the point that I sold the car 2 months ago, and paid 9k from my pocket to get rid of that junk. And you know what?? Even after losing that amount of money, I don't regret it a bit!!!

All that lousy car gave me was depression and the feeling of poverty...