2002 Proton Wira Reviews

Year of manufacture2002
First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Previous carHyundai Elantra

Summary:

A much underrated motor

Nothing.

General Comments:

I'm genuinely mystified as to why these cars are rated so badly. I paid £600 for my Proton with service history and a year's MOT. In that time it hasn't cost me a single penny in unexpected repairs.

The car is basic, only having power steering as an option, but I can live without toys. Fuel economy is excellent; I can achieve just over 50 MPG on long journeys, which is amazing for an old 1300cc petrol engine allied to quite a large car, although I would prefer more torque for hills and overtaking.

The ride is a little crashy over bumps and potholes, but I find the seats comfortable for long trips and there is decent leg and head room, and the boot is also a good size. Visibility is superb all round due to the large glass area.

I have been all over the country in my Proton, and it has never let me down (six monthly services do help, but I do that with all my cars). It's also of no interest to thieves or vandals. I once left it unlocked overnight on a South London street, and it was still there the next morning.

The only reason I am selling is the cost of tax. Because of the age of the engine, it is quite a high polluter and the tax is a hefty £143 for six months, a figure that will only rise in future. A shame really, as it has been the cheapest and most reliable vehicle I have owned. The motoring websites and magazines that reviewed the Wira have either never driven it, or are just slaves to anything German; I can't think of any other reason why it is so maligned.

Review Date: 6th September, 2013

2002 Proton Wira 1.3 Gli Aeroback 1.3 petrol from Malaysia

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 1.3 petrol Manual

Summary:

GOOD enough for me!!!

What has gone wrong??? Well, in the 7 months of my ownership, nothing has gone wrong I should say except for the fact that I got the car from a lousy car dealer in Cheras area... The right rear tyre was almost blad and all the tyres alignment was off!!! And I only found out about it after I did 5000 kms!! Well, anything could have happened and it could have been bad... OK so I HAVE NO PROBLEMS wait... just some MINOR NIGGLES perhaps. The dashboard and the loose parts in the cabin would vibrate kinda strongly when I turn on the air-cond system (when the car isn't moving). and when I asked the mechanics... He said "Oh well, it's normal for this car..." So what else could I do? What can I hope from a CHEAP car such as this? So my message is... Just appreciate what this car has to offer.

General Comments:

What can a car such as this offer you might say... First, I got it for RM 28000, not expensive then, and what's included in the package?

EXCELLENT FUEL ECONOMY, just enough room for 4 people (tight for 5), ride that is acceptable, and kinda nice styling heh heh (the car dealer gave me a facelift so the car now looks like the year 2006 WIRA), the boot is enough to take my weekly shopping and so...that's about all I need as a student.

I hope my car will be reliable and won't fail on me in the future because I plan to use my lovely WIRA for some years to come!!!

Review Date: 22nd September, 2006

26th Sep 2006, 08:53

HAHAHA!!! I can't stop laughing brother... buying a proton wira for 26K is considered cheap!! you better prepare another 26K to get it repaired and plus some headaches and my advised is buy a hughed personal insurance too...

26th Sep 2006, 23:35

Seeing the comment, as a student, I can say agreed enough for you to have a this car. At 26k, it is a second hand car which I suggest to look into the maintenance. Unless you bought with a car full of service history.

Just be careful with the throttle body. Not only wira, other certain Mitsubishi engine models do have this problem.