2001 Renault Grand Espace The Race 2.2 dCi from UK and Ireland
Lovely to drive, but reliability lets it down badly
- Gearbox replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles.
- Fan belt + tensioning roller broke at 52000 miles while on holiday in Italy - cost £250 to replace.
- CD player refused to recognize disks 15 48,000 miles. Fixed under warranty.
- Air conditioning stopped working at 49,000 miles. Fixed under warranty.
- Drivers seat split at base at 48,000 miles - fixed under warranty.
- Electric window switch failed at 45000 miles - warranty repair.
- Brake light sensor malfunctioned at 46000 miles (AA fixed that one!)
- Flywheel/fuel injector sensor failed 3 times (twice while on holiday, once abroad in Poland, once at home) - took 3 attempts by local dealer to replace (warranty fix).
Ongoing problems with front heater matrix (demister doesn't work properly).
Bought for safety (NCAP 4 star) and for size (5 kids + dog!)
Currently in negotiation with Renault UK for warranty extension/replacement.
Just waiting for the next thing to fail.
Our previous Grand Espace had equally poor reliability - continual electrical problems, water pump, rear door jammed.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 20th September, 2004
3rd Jun 2005, 03:32
I love this car, but I'm beginning to wonder if it will love me as much! The first major problem just as the warranty has run out (Jan 05) is that the clutch master cylinder has gone... leaking fluid down the pedal and flat to the floor were the telltale sign. It's in the dealer at the moment being fixed..£450..and maybe the clutch needs doing too! (£550) I rang Renault Customer services and she said she hadn't heard of it being a fault... yet other drivers on other websites have had similiar problems. The dealer I bought from new said it could have gone at any time and they have done them on other Renault cars so it's just one of those things!! Customer service might give me a discount as I've only done 40,000 miles. The dealer has to negotiate with them. I await with baited breath!!
13th Sep 2007, 10:23
You already had one with poor reliability - what on Earth made you buy another?