Lovely to drive, but reliability lets it down badly
- Gearbox replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles.
- Fan belt + tensioning roller broke at 52000 miles while on holiday in Italy - cost £250 to replace.
- CD player refused to recognize disks 15 48,000 miles. Fixed under warranty.
- Air conditioning stopped working at 49,000 miles. Fixed under warranty.
- Drivers seat split at base at 48,000 miles - fixed under warranty.
- Electric window switch failed at 45000 miles - warranty repair.
- Brake light sensor malfunctioned at 46000 miles (AA fixed that one!)
- Flywheel/fuel injector sensor failed 3 times (twice while on holiday, once abroad in Poland, once at home) - took 3 attempts by local dealer to replace (warranty fix).
Ongoing problems with front heater matrix (demister doesn't work properly).
Bought for safety (NCAP 4 star) and for size (5 kids + dog!)
Currently in negotiation with Renault UK for warranty extension/replacement.
Just waiting for the next thing to fail.
Our previous Grand Espace had equally poor reliability - continual electrical problems, water pump, rear door jammed.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 20th September, 2004