Rolls Royce Silver Spirit Reviews - Page 4 of 4

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission V8 twin carbs Automatic
Distance when acquired112000 miles
Previous carRolls Royce Silver Shadow II

Summary:

The best car in the world

I have fitted two new hydraulic pumps for the brakes and suspension.

New whitewall tyres.

The car has not let me down at all. The things I have had replaced have been for my own peace of mind.

The leather on the seats had cracked and gone hard in places, so I have had them re-trimmed in Connolly Leather to factory spec. and colours.

General Comments:

I love to drive the car, and think it is the most comfortable car that I have ever owned.

The interior trim is light blue, and all the walnut is like new, so it makes you feel good, as it is not dull inside the car.

Petrol consumption is not good, only 13 to 15 mpg, but you are driving around in 'The Best Car In The World'. I just love it to bits..

Review Date: 26th February, 2002

6th Dec 2006, 16:08

I have an '85 Silver Spirit, and love it! It is rare Georgian Silver with Slate hide piped in black. The hides have held up remarkably well. and are still "as new", both fresh and soft! The woodwork is still like glass! Gas ,milage around 13 mpg, not too great, but the comfort and fun are well worth it. Truly the "Best Car in The World" hands down. One must learn to fix simple things, as parts/labor are more for this car. Careful periodic maintenance gives total enjoyment. I've had dozens of these cars, this one is the finest I've ever seen, and only 42867 miles!!

1982 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1982
First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Previous carRolls Royce Silver Shadow II

Summary:

Lovely

I have replaced the rear leveling system valves, brakes, belts, and the hoses.

General Comments:

This is a wonderful car and I would not own any other make. It is a joy to drive and reeks of wealth.

The gas mileage is poor, but I have learned to live with it.

The interior is starting to wear, but that is because I use it as my office as well as my daily driver.

I have found it very hard to find a decent and honest mechanic so I work on it myself. Most mechanics here in South Florida are only interested in overcharging you and ripping you off!

Review Date: 3rd July, 2001

4th Feb 2003, 22:30

This attitude that Rolls-Royces are meant to be parked rather than driven and admired rather than used is why so many are in sad shape, with rotten hoses and cracked leather! I think it's great the car sees daily use - mine does and is all the better for it.

28th Sep 2005, 11:23

As with any car, mechanical health is very important. A car does need to be driven in order for the parts to be lubricated, etc.. But for a Rolls Royce to be Overdriven is sick. I have 49,000 on my 81 Spirit, and 278,000 on my S-class diesel. I know which one to "Overkill" with driving.

23rd Jun 2007, 13:27

If you can't afford one, don't buy it, its for special people... with tons of cash.

1981 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit 6.7 unleaded from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1981
First year of ownership1987
Engine and transmission 6.7 unleaded Automatic
Previous carBMW 524 TD

Summary:

Just do it

Oil leak, but it is not unusual for this type of car. As the car is regularly serviced I can say that it is trouble free.

General Comments:

Very powerful car, comfortable, fully loaded, but high in running costs.

Anyway I recommend to anyone to buy one, as the feeling is very impressive.

Review Date: 21st March, 2001

9th Jul 2014, 14:17

I just brought a Silver Spur 1983 from a Rolls Royce dealer with a full MoT.

I had a nagging in my head that something was wrong. Took it to an MoT station myself and it failed on a light beam being too low, oil leaking underneath the car, hand brake not working fully etc.

Got car back from the Rolls Royce dealer after telling him it failed the MoT I took it in for, and he kept my Roller for 2 months. When I called, he stated he was still waiting for a part, as the car came with a 1 year warranty on mechanics and electrics.

Passenger side window didn't work, and the back window.

Then a door wouldn't open at the back.

He fixed everything, but it still leaks a lot of oil. Is this correct as he stated all Rolls Royces should leak, otherwise there is a serious problem if they don't leak

It's a problem that worries me, as I am taking it from the UK to Australia

Will they fail it on the oil leak?

1981 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit 6.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1981
Engine and transmission 6.8 petrol

Top seal of power steering rack blew out and dumped oil over the exhaust while driving north over the Auckland Harbour Bridge...very embarrassing!

General Comments:

A delightful car which is an absolute pleasure to drive.. I prefer it to my 1995 Jaguar XJSport 3.2.

Review Date: 29th June, 1998