1993 Rover - Austin 800 Sterling 2.7 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The Rover 800 is the Great British Secret

It has to be said that I have had no issues with the wonderful 2.7 engine. The only problems were caused by myself when converting the Climate Control system from R12 to R134a. This was in so much that it cost more money than estimated.

General Comments:

I have driven many new cars and still have not found one that gives me the same drive satisfaction as my Sterling, it always puts a smile on my face.

I have changed the shock absorbers to Koni ones and this has improved the total road handling at high speeds, and I have indeed embarrassed a few BMW's while driving through Europe.

Review Date: 8th April, 2004

1993 Rover - Austin 800 Sterling 2.7 24v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Too many people who've never owned one will tell you how rubbish they are; they are completely wrong

Front and rear brakes replaced, centre exhaust section and front exhaust section required replacement. Suspension bush required replacement(very expensive for what they are).

General Comments:

What a fantastic car for the money - gutsy and reliable Honda V6, leather, air-con, 4x electric windows, electric sunroof, 6xCD changer - all as standard. Pulls very well and gives good economy on a run (33mpg). Town usage can hurt the wallet - I regularly achieve 24mpg around town, and 19mpg on very short runs. Fuel consumption isn't as important as many people think - she's cost very little in parts, and is the kind of car I'd jump in and drive absolutely anywhere without a second thought about whether she'd make it to the destination. Handling feedback is lacking; she always goes where I point her, but she never lets me know that she'll make it. Fantastic car for the money.

Review Date: 10th January, 2004

1993 Rover - Austin 800 vitesse turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

200+hp for peanuts

Head gasket blew at 68000 (common)

Electric windows play up, this is due to the fuse box connection.

ABS sensor.

Jammed turbo actuator.

General Comments:

My car has been running a bleed valve since 68000 miles and is estimated to produce 230 hp with no head gasket problems.

May be the cheapest 200+hp car you can buy, but don't expect not to spend money on repairs.

Superb half leather recaros.

The steering on these cars is vague and too light, fast cornering is not for the lighthearted although the car will take most corners faster than you may expect.

Always replace the head gasket with the modified gasket.

Poor cabin build quality, dash separates from the clocks and heater vents. Rattles and squeaks are regular and annoying.

Noisy for a large car, the engine is very coarse at high revs.

Review Date: 1st January, 2004

1993 Rover - Austin 800 820Si 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Luxury tourer for family trips

Heater not working.

Handbrake not working.

Leak at header tank unit.

115000 miles on clock, but solid and clean, new tyres, MOT until 2004.

General Comments:

Considering I bought this car at auction for £275.00, I knew that some work would have to be done.

This Rover is a big beasty and because of its size, many people tend to go for smaller cars.

This is like driving a settee from a leather suite, and is great for comfort and leg room.

Review Date: 13th July, 2003

31st Aug 2004, 09:27

I have 376,000 miles on my '93 820Si, nothing has ever gone wrong (apart from worn tyres and had the exhaust replaced). Bought it for £900 4 years ago with 117,000 miles on. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. Unfortunately someone came into the side of it at a roundabout and it has been written off. Hope to get another one, but newer, maybe '98 mileage is no issue though!!

14th Jun 2008, 18:19

I have a Rover 820 Si, and it goes like a dream. The power delivery on the accelerator is fantastic. It has just been diagnosed with ABS pump problems, but still is a beautiful car.

1993 Rover - Austin 800 820 Vitesse 2.0 turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Teaches the boy racers a BIG lesson!

None.

General Comments:

I bought the car very cheap off a mate and it is in mint condition.

It is extremely quick for the size of the car, however this is reflected at the pumps.

It is very comfortable to drive, very responsive and handles brilliantly.

The boot is huge and there is LOADS of room in the back. For what I paid you could pay a hundred times more at a dealer for a new model!

Review Date: 10th May, 2003