2004 Rover - Austin CityRover Sprite from UK and Ireland - Comments

11th May 2013, 12:07

Hi, the Cityrover doesn't have a rotor arm or distributor cap, the HT's run into an electronic pack. I think they put a bit more thought into these cars after the K series engine catastrophe.

I am having lag problems with mine just now, and having problems removing the 2nd and 4th sparks... Just the way they sit at an angle... Also found the HT lead nearest the battery on right side was loose and caked in rust and calc... When I get new HT's and finally remove the 2nd and 4th plugs... fingers crossed I will get my power back.

All the rest of the car is in great condition, and the engine is as near new. I bought it for 800 quid with 15000 miles on the clock. A snip.

A little bumpy over the potholes, but hey! Roomy as well, reminds me of the Punto's size and shape.

21st May 2013, 07:46

Hi. I've had just the same problem with my City. I can't de-activate the immobiliser, and don't have the parts that should have come with the car to reprogram it. The garage want to charge £480 to reset the car and supply a recoding unit. Have been advised to buy bypass unit for £200 so I can get the car started. Has anyone used the bypass unit on these cars, as I would hate to find that it doesn't work?

30th May 2013, 12:51

My mom's car has same problem. It's a pain as we never know whether to trust the petrol indicator or not, and don't think it's worth fixing!

11th Jun 2013, 12:39

I have recently bought a City Rover Select 2005, and the SRS light keeps coming on. It's supposed to come on on starting the engine, and then go out. Now we can't get it past the MOT as the engineers don't know what to do to put it right. Anyone else had this problem? If not, anyone want a car for spares? Or perhaps an angel out there has the solution?

25th Jun 2013, 09:00

Hi, I was just enquiring, I have got a 05 CityRover Solo with the same problem. Did yours have three nozzles, and if so, how did you manage to rectify it, as I have a constant smell of petrol?

6th Jul 2013, 17:17

Two things to check or replace. Ignition coil pack and H.T. leads.

Fuel filter and pump clogged up. Normally due to dirt entering a corroded filler pipe.

Hope this helps.

Had both of these problems on mine, and it now runs fine!

16th Jul 2013, 14:05

Try looking for a blocked fuel filter. Ford used to fit one on the pickup pipe in the top of the fuel tank. I had a Granada that displayed similar problems. Even the Haynes manual did not mention this filter, so I was not aware it was there. Replaced for 50p, problem solved.

19th Sep 2013, 18:29

I had the same problem with my wife's car - just removed the steering casing and disconnected the wire to the steering airbag - give it a blow and a clean and put it back together. This sorted ours.

5th Jan 2014, 03:43

They don't have a distributor cap, they use a coil pack.

11th Jan 2014, 12:25

Change the fuel filter; it's underneath mid way. I'm in the trade and I have one of these things. I have had it 2 years. I don't service it, I just abuse it till it dies, then I will take it to the scrap yard, collect the 150, and go buy another one for 400 pounds or less from eBay.

6th Feb 2014, 11:21

My son bought a 06 CityRover 1.4 today, 23,000 on the clock. It seemed a good price and it's cheap insurance for a new driver, but have we made a big mistake? On the way home the check engine light came on, and then the temp gauge stopped working. Could these be linked, and is it an easy fix?

I also don't think the fuel gauge is working correctly either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mrs K.

8th Feb 2014, 17:56

I have started to have the same problem with mine this week. Did you get yours resolved?

11th Feb 2014, 04:11

No, I have the mechanic who is a friend coming round today. His words were let's see if we can get the gauge working, then sell it before it is only worth scrap value. I have spoke to a company who stock all parts for the City Rover, it's UK based, they are very helpful; their number is 01522568000. All I know is it's the temperature gauge sensor and it's £30. One of them is a white head; this should be the one you need for the gauge, but there is another, which is a brown head, and should be the one for the coolant, it's a 2 pin plug. This is all the info I have at the moment. If I find out any more, I'll let you know.

15th Apr 2014, 10:08

I had problems with the immobiliser... had to buy a bypass from remotekey.co.uk. No tools required, and reprogrammed the unit in 10 minutes.

Add another comment