2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear 2.0 turbo from North America

Summary:

Reliable, economical, safe transportation

Hood emblems faded.

Dashboard wears easily.

Battery replaced.

Blows headlight bulbs frequently.

General Comments:

I bought this car for $9500 in 2008 with 49500 miles on it.

Since then, I have replaced a battery, installed Michelin Primacy tires, and performed my own oil and air filter changes. The only service item I did not do was a brake fluid flush for $72.00.

The car now has over 90,000 miles on it, and it still runs great. It was ridiculously cheap to purchase, gets tremendous gas mileage (45 + mpg on highway), is very safe (8 airbags), and has distinctive styling.

Toyota's and Honda's would offer no better reliability than this, and would have cost a lot more to purchase.

Review Date: 13th December, 2010

2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear 2.0 turbo from North America

Summary:

Money pit

Right before the warranty was up (between 44000 and 50000 miles):

Driver side window regulator (warranty).

Front and rear struts (warranty).

Blower motor (warranty).

All door handles (warranty - paint peeling).

Both side mirrors (warranty - paint peeling).

Dashboard cupholder (warranty).

Front coil springs (done under extended warranty, 105,000 miles).

Work done out of warranty:

Front and rear brake pads and rotors (done at 45,000).

Replaced power steering pump (80,000 miles).

Replaced serpentine belt (80,000).

Replaced blower motor (again, 85,000 miles).

Replaced passenger front window regulator (90,000 miles).

Replaced fob key (105,000 miles --> buttons fell off).

Replaced front strut mounts and bearings (110,000).

Replaced worn out hood emblem (approx 90,000 miles).

Headlights blow out every 10,000 miles or so. I've replaced both at least 5 times.

Things that are broken and I'm too lazy or can't afford to fix:

Moonroof (broken around 75,000 miles).

Gas gauge (starting failing at 100,000 miles, now reads empty).

Driver's side seat is very beat up and worn - since 90,000 miles.

Dashboard cupholder - broken again, right after it was fixed.

General Comments:

I loved it when I got it. Now I can't wait to get rid of it.

Parts are too expensive, and they don't last.

Review Date: 15th September, 2010

2004 SAAB 9-3 Vector Sport 2.0 turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Lots of garage time; SAAB replace whole systems rather than broken components

- Rear seat locked in the folded forward position by the seat belt.

- Reservoir on the power steering cracked, and this meant the whole unit had to be replaced

- Aircon duct control units required replacement of complete systems.

- On board computer failed, and both keys stopped working. Meant that entry required unlocking the passenger side door (only one with a key in Right Hand Drive Models), leaning across and unlocking the driver's door, and then going around to enter.

- Driver's side door window mechanism failed, and required complete unit replacement twice in 12 months.

- Regular head light bulb failure; requires a degree in rocket science to replace. And very skinny hands...

- Idling speeding undulations when starting up and standing still.

General Comments:

The car has got heaps of grunt, and is a sipper on the long rides, but the build quality and electronics leave a lot to be desired.

It will cost a lot of money to maintain this car in the long run.

Review Date: 9th April, 2010

2004 SAAB 9-3 Arc Convertible from North America

Summary:

Nice looking car, comfortable, fun, but not worth the headaches. There are much more reliable optns

Both heated seats.

Headlight aimed to low (dealer says this is normal alignment).

Loud noise from shocks over bumps.

Clutch.

Rear main seal engine oil leak.

Steering rack issue.

General Comments:

I bought this car used from a local Saab dealer. Within the first day, I parked it in the garage, and came home the next day to find a big puddle of oil under it.

Other issues included: both heated seats did not work, headlights aimed low, noisy shocks over bumps.

The dealer has been helpful, and replaced the rear main seal, heated seats, shocks. They offered to replace the clutch while the transmission was out at cost ($665.00), so I accepted.

The very day that I picked up the car from this service, I noticed a loud knocking noise coming from the steering rack when turning the steering wheel.

I bought the car 2 weeks ago, and it has been at the dealer being serviced the whole time I have owned it.

It has been nice that the dealer has been helpful with these issues, however I have been making trips and phone calls over and over to the dealership. What an inconvenience for someone who works a lot. They are getting tired of seeing me, as I am with them also.

If I could go back I would have never purchased this car. I wish I would have read comments on this page first. I made a mistake with this purchase, but I will not let it happen again.

Review Date: 19th February, 2010

22nd Feb 2010, 15:41

In all fairness to Saab, you did buy this car used with relatively high miles: 93,000 on the odometer.

You really can't judge Saab by one car, especially if you don't know the entire history of that vehicle.

I own a 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible, and my wife owns a 2006 9-7x. They both have been great vehicles thus far.