2004 SAAB 9-3 Reviews - Page 6 of 6

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission 1.8 turbo Manual
Previous carSAAB 900

I have teething problems with the brand new Saab 93, 2004 model.

Firstly, the rear window behind driver's seat could not be closed fully. The window went up to nearly 90% then automatically went back down. I took it to the service center, who told me he had replaced some 'module'. I forgot to test it when I took the car, brought it home, the problem still exists, only differs slightly. I can now close it using the button on the driver's door, but when I try comfort closing (with remote control), same problem.

Secondly, the audio system stops functioning, no display on console, no sound, the CD player takes in CDs OK, but the system was just completely dead. Since the indicators' audio uses the same system, no 'tic-toc' noise was audible either. This happened on a long trip and it's when you need your music most. We gave up after trying to turn the audio system on/off at the control, tried to switch ignition on and off... It came good about an hour later.

Fourthly, the first gear is 'sticky' when the engine is cold.

General Comments:

Even though the car is nice to drive, I don't think I will go for a Saab next time.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2005

27th May 2005, 06:51

'Thirdly, the LCD (?) display panel in the dashboard intermittently goes dim and the odometer display under the speedo dial disappears.'

I think you will find it is meant to do this.

28th Jul 2005, 15:28

I have a 2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear with 5 speed manual transmission. The car was purchased during August 2004. After one year of driving I have had no problems and can only give the highest regards for this car. Engine is as smooth as silk, smoother than many six cylinder engines on the street, and we are talking about a 2 liter 4 cylinder here. Handling, breaking is excellent and the cooling system is the best I have experienced in a car. A better drive and roomier than the Audi A4. Overall very happy with the car and plan to keep if for many years, as there is no point trying my luck again with a different make. Like the old proverb, if it works why fix it? or replace it.

2nd Dec 2005, 16:10

I have a 2004 9-3 Arc. I have had several problems with it including the problem with the windows rolling back down. In addition, I have a problem with speaker vibration when the radio is on medium volume. I've had the back brakes replaced because of loud squeaking when braking in reverse. I've had a piece in the steering column replaced because of creaking when turning the wheel. Most of these issues have been taken care of and I love the way the car drives when it's driving normal. However, as of late, I have had hesitation and bucking issues (it's an automatic). I have a friend with the same car with the same hesitation and bucking. She had a software upgrade, but it did not fix the issue.

9th Nov 2006, 23:59

I had an 03 Arc that went back to the dealer 15 times in 11 months. I became so dillusioned with it I took the loss and moved on. I was hoping that reliability had improved as I would one day like to return to the product as they are well thought out and stylish...waiting.

16th Nov 2007, 15:49

I bought my 04 SAAB Aero and loved it! Drove nice & had great features. Fast forward to 2006 and the on-star & phone feature no longer works because it changed from analog to digital & the 6 CD disc changer doesn't work (who knows why). Power windows are also beginning to have issues. It is very expensive to do repairs so my advice... if you are going to buy get an extended warranty to cover wear & tear as well as manufacturer breakdowns!

2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear 2.0 turbo from North America

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

I don't think I can live without a Saab

I have had no problems with this car.

General Comments:

I bought this car as a loaner car at a great value. Service was better than expected and the dealer was very accommodating.

I traded in my 2001 Saab 9-3 in the summer of 2003, when my turbo went at 48000 miles, and bought a Honda Accord. I had no other problems with the 2001 Saab other than having a front wheel bearing replaced at around 15000 miles.

After a year of complaining about the performance and styling of the Accord, I am once again ecstatic to have a Saab again.

Since purchasing, I have gone on trip which entailed driving through the Catskills and the engine did not rev once. I reset my miles per gallon computation before I left and when I returned home, 16 hours or about 900 miles later, the computer read 34.8 miles per gallon.

The seats are extremely comfortable and the backseat is quite roomy.

The paint seems to be of a better quality than the 2001 9-3.

My only complaint is the "tune" knob for the radio does not exist. You have to hold in the seek button for an couple seconds to tune to the next station.

Review Date: 1st October, 2004