2000 SAAB 9-5 Reviews - Page 3 of 12

2000 SAAB 9-5 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Distance when acquired12000 miles
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Absolutely the worst thing one can make out of metal!

The real question when a Saab is mentioned is "What hasn't gone wrong?"

The absolute worst excuse for engineering I've ever witnessed in my 35 years! Ignition, bearings, exhaust, engine... not engine work... an engine at 16000 miles, and of course the heater should have been called air conditioning!

General Comments:

The only thing I can say about this review is for those who are misinformed that these are good cars... YOU WERE LIED TO. I would have sold mine, but I like to sleep at night, and I couldn't bear the thought of passing this headache on to another person.. so I did what any Saab owner would have done if they had my resources.. Fired up my Ford F550, engaged 4wd and ran over it a few times.. Then had it flatbedded to the local scrap yard and gave the remains to them on one condition.. that I see the machine rape the drive train out, and when the car is ready to be crushed.. I pull the lever... GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Review Date: 25th February, 2010

26th Feb 2010, 14:11

I have a difficult time believing any of this.

My personal experience is that Saabs are fantastic automobiles.

21st Nov 2010, 15:49

There are tons of people that would have taken that car, and fixed it and driven it. Purely a waste of a car. Our 9-5 is amazing. A speeding bullet and very reliable.

28th Jun 2011, 19:54

I think the problem may lie within the temper of the driver, not the car.

24th Oct 2011, 18:16

I believe every bit of this story. I believe that someone would be that smart to crush a car you can sell to a mechanic, or the fact that he didn't mention once any actual problems with it. Obviously there weren't enough for him to find it plausible. Believe this guy! He's obviously knowledgeable about what he's doing! I wish I was that smart, but I'm still stuck with this stupid SAAB that has never given me problems and is a fun and fast car. Guess I'll be stuck with the fast car for a while :(

13th Nov 2011, 18:05

Sounds to me like this guy forgot that there is a term known as "routine maintenance!" and I'll bet he abused the crap out of the car when he drove it anyways. I drive a Saab 9-5 with... 260k on it! Never let me down; not once. Too bad he junked his. I would have bought it!

27th Nov 2011, 13:20

So you bought this in 2001, and by 2009 you had only put 6,000 miles on it? If you keep a car for that long, and you only put 6k miles on it, you'll need to do routine maintenance during that time in order to keep it from dry rotting, and getting locked up.

2000 SAAB 9-5 turbo from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission turbo Automatic
Previous carSAAB 9-5

Summary:

Sell after 50,000 miles

Water pump failure at 59,000 miles.

Alternator failure at 61,000.

Brake power booster at 64,000.

Engine light problems frequently. Various parts changed for the engine light problem, even the gas cap.

Alarm goes off at different times of the day and night. Cost est. by dealer around $450 to replace unit battery pack -- after market alarm unit only $225.

Key stuck in ignition -- 3 months wait for new ignition from factory???. Another $750.

Power window switch module replaced. All total with regular servicing and repairs, not all mentioned, over $8,000 in the past year and a half.

General Comments:

It was a great car.

Handled well.

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 3.0 Liter V6, 24 Valve DOHC turbo Automatic
Most recent distance120821 miles
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Fun to drive, but pricey to maintain

Ordered new key. Old key had bent shaft. 84898 miles cost 32.00.

New key failed to work in ignition. Previous owner had changed the lock cylinder and door locks, but not through a SAAB dealership. Dealer put new lock cylinder in with matching keys. Used remaining old key to open doors. 88576 miles, cost 211.39.

Battery replaced at 91694 miles. cost 123.45 Saab battery from dealership.

Direct ignition cassette (for cylinders 1-3-5) fails at 92489 miles. Cost 500.92 (dealer).

AC service at 94249, cost. 91.55 (independent).

Key transponder fails at 96148, cost 112.77 (dealer).

AC service at 120696, cost 164.81 (independent).

Water pump leaks at 120,821, cost 126.94 (independent-done as part of 120,000 mile service).

General Comments:

The 90,000 mile service performed at the dealership cost 738.04 cents.

The 120,000 mile service performed on July 28, 2009 cost 1,362.42. This service was performed by an independent. Cost of this service was higher because water pump needed to be replaced, as well as the timing belt. Serpentine belt also was replaced.

Oil used has either been polysynthetic or full synthetic. Oil changes have been made between 3000 to 4000 miles.

Since purchasing the car in 2006 I have spent a grand total of 3337.35 on problems and general maintenance.

The history of the car shows that prior to my ownership:

The battery was replaced at 5 miles.

The microprocessor at 10 miles.

The central locking switch at 1887.

The Sport switch at 1887.

Generator assembly at 43054.

Macpherson Strut Rear at 50105.

I have the original sticker for the car: Total amount 38,325.00

Engine parts: United Kingdom.

Transmission parts: Japan

Final assembly point. Trollhatten, Sweden.

The 9-5 SE is a very responsive car that holds the road very well. It is not as quiet as I expected it to be, but that doesn't particularly bother me.

Review Date: 30th July, 2009