1992 SAAB 9000 4 Cylinders, 2.6L turbo from North America

Superb car through and through, but very expensive to fix!

Exhaust pipe leading from engine fell clean off at 144,000 miles.

Radiator has hair crack in it... causes major antifreeze leakage/overheating when idling.

The overheating has caused gaskets to burn away, which causes stalling when idling, oil leakage, and low oil pressure.

ABS dash light always on--there is nothing wrong with the ABS.

Radio shorts out sporadically.

A/C was broken when I bought the car.

Many lights on dash/controls no longer work.

I have noticed a small leak in the roof during heavy rain.

General Comments:

My car has amazing pickup, and handles very well considering that it weighs 3,300 pounds.

SAAB thinks of everything for comfort and convenience in their cars, even in older models like mine.. everything from heated leather seats to 3 driver memory function to the little wipers on the headlights.

The low, boxy body and long front end of this car is unique and stylish... it looks like a fast car, and it is.

The leather seats are just now starting to show wear after 14 years.

I'm not a fan of the analog clock.

I love the climate control console--all I have to do is set the temperature and it does everything else.

A heavier oil viscosity is a must for this car.

All in all, I love this car, even with all of its recent problems. I wish I didn't, but that's the way it goes. It is very expensive to fix, but if you're willing to pay, the car will reward you with hundreds of thousands of miles of style, comfort, and convenience.

Review Date: 11th May, 2005

15th Aug 2005, 01:26

This car weighs closer to something like 3,100 pounds.

1992 SAAB 9000 Carlsson CD Turbo 2.3 turbo from UK and Ireland

Powerful and Spacious Sweedish automobile!

Steering rack replaced at 177,000 miles.

Headlining sagging in places.

Rubber tubes connecting turbo had perished so they were replaced at 175,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is very quick and the handling for a car of its size is quite impressive.

The cabin room is extremely spacious in the front and rear. Comparable to the BMW 7 series.

This car would benefit from traction control as wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear is common in all weather conditions.

Very economical for a car of its size and power, 30mpg can be reached on the motorway.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2004

1992 SAAB 9000 CDE 2.3 turbo from UK and Ireland

Superb build quality with excellent performance and creature comforts

It jumps out of second gear, which doesn't bother me too much.

The air conditioning comes on every time I start the car.

The alternator packed up, which cost me £45 to recondition it.

The near side rear brake caliper piston corroded and seized, which cost me about £5 for a new seal kit.

The speedo drive stopped working, so I got a second hand one from the scrap yard.

It has a gearbox oil leak, which I believe is due to the box being over filled.

General Comments:

I bought the car from where I work for £150, which must be the bargain of the century.

I drive the car quite conservatively now, due to high fuel consumption when driven hard.

I have a pretty good idea that my Saab is capable of 147+ miles per hour.

This is by far the best car I have ever owned, because it's so comfortable, fast, quiet and smooth. It's got everything you'd want in a car.

All the specification is standard at the moment, although I'd like to do something with the air intake, because it seems to loose it's poke as the air in the inter-cooler warms up, also I'd like to fit a remote start alarm with total closure, and maybe smoke the windows as it has been broken into once.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2003

1992 SAAB 9000 CS from Germany

An expensive lemon.

We have had many problems with this car, practically from the first week we bought it. There are so many, I doubt if I could list them all.

First off, the light bulbs in the back did not work. Although they were replaced right away, one simply did not function at all.

Second, the brakes began to squeal unmercifully within a few weeks after buying the car. We took it back to the dealer, but he claimed there was nothing wrong with them. "They just squeal," he said. This developed into another story, later.

The indicator lights began randomly flashing about a month after we'd bought the car. The dealer said there might be a short somewhere, but that it was not significant.

About a month later, the radio stopped working entirely. The dealer took the radio out. It was not replaced. We now have a gaping hole where the radio once was. It used to be a nice radio. We are afraid to replace it, because we are worried that another radio will blow the entire electrical system, which is yet another story.

At the same time the dealer took out the radio, he replaced the battery, saying that a new battery should help the electrical system. It didn't.

We changed dealers. The new dealer was more helpful, but still our car has not been reliable.

Although the new dealer has replaced a small part made of carbon that was quite worn down, it has not really helped the problem with the electrical system.

The new dealer also checked into the brakes, but said there was nothing wrong. However, the car did not pass inspection, and we were forced to return to the dealer and insist that he repair the brakes. The brakes were repaired at a cost of 1000 Euros (!!!). By the way, they still squeal.

The electrical system is still going insane. Indicator lights go on and off without warning. When signaling to switch lanes on the highway, the needle on the tachometer jumps suddenly. If we are traveling over 100 km per hour, then the entire car shudders. We are afraid to drive fast in this car, since we don't know what will happen next.

We have an appointment to have this looked at now, but are terrified of what it will cost. This car has been a lemon since we bought it.

General Comments:

We originally bought the car because we had heard many songs of praise from SAAB owners who thought that they were good value for the money.

Not a day goes by that we do not regret this decision.

Review Date: 10th June, 2003

17th Jul 2003, 04:00

9000's have nothing to do with Vectras at all. 9-3's certainly do. Dismal dealership services are to blame for most problems not being sorted, and I would like to think that no Saab franchises in the UK are like this - they appear to know their cars very well.

I have nothing but praise for the Saabs I have owned - they have proven to be very reliable indeed so long as they are treated to a service regularly. I would choose one again and again.