1992 SAAB 9000 Reviews

1992 SAAB 9000 S 2.3 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

A comfortable, unreliable lemon

E-brake came broken.

Heated seats never worked.

Muffler was loud.

Fuel pump went.

Door lock broke.

Electrical non-starting issue.

General Comments:

This car was very nice, leather interior, great climate control system, never got stuck in the snow. However, none of that makes up for breaking down about once a month.

Repairs were incredibly expensive, and some shops refused to touch the car. I was quoted 850 dollars to repair the e-brake, so I lived without it.

It had a phenomenal amount of cargo space. When I folded the rear seats down, it felt like it could equal a small pickup truck...

Today I somewhat regretfully had it towed away to a scrapyard, but I pulled one of the excellent, stylish front seats for my apartment.

Review Date: 5th March, 2010

6th Mar 2010, 14:50

How on earth can you possibly label a 17 year old vehicle with nearly 350,000kms a lemon?

Were you expecting a LIFETIME warranty?

Saabs are fine automobiles, it is a shame that you had unrealistic expectations for a car that obviously served other owners quite well.

6th Mar 2010, 21:25

I am wondering how much you have paid on a 17 y.o. car with 350000Km. Cannot think of that much in N.A.

However, who knows what has been done to such a car by the previous owners, and how can you judge a product based on your experience?

11th Mar 2010, 21:37

Original reviewer here... you have a point there about the high mileage. Maybe my expectations were too high. I'm still disgusted with the way things broke continuously. My other cars are BMW's, and are far more reliable.

8th Mar 2012, 17:18

I had a Saab 9000 Turbo 1992; the best car ever made, period. Safest too.

Most durable 2.3 liter high output turbo motor.

I regret ever selling it.

1992 SAAB 9000 CS 2.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1992
Previous carFord Falcon

Summary:

Good entry level luxury sports saloon

Engine mounts were broken when I bought the car.

Regulator failed at 180,000

Heater core failed at 180,000.

Fan resistor failed at 180,000.

Starter motor failed at 220,000

Alternator failed at 225,000

Sun visors failed (yes, it is possible) at 200,000.

Rear shock absorbers needed replacing at about 225,000, and front stuts are a bit hows-your-father.

General Comments:

This is the first Saab I have owned, and overall I am happy with it. For a 16 year old car it still drives very well, and handles equally as well. The body work is solid and the interior is plush and comfortable.

On the freeway it is an absolute joy - mid range power is exceptional for a 4 cylinder, and beats my previous car (4 litre ford falcon) hands down. Gets about 8l/100km. Overtaking is effortless. Transmission is smooth, although kick-down can be sticky around town. After a long journey I always arrive feeling relaxed, thanks to the leather seats. The heater is excellent, as is the air conditioning.

Around town its equally good. Its a tad heavy on juice (about 12-13 l/100km) but can beat most stuff at the lights and always feels save.

However - repairs are costly. Some parts are very expensive - try $300 each for sunvisors, or $200 for fan motor resistor. A Saab mechanic must be used, otherwise you may end up with more stuff broken than when you started. Also, the major electrical components are quite innaccesible which adds to labor costs. However, I believe this is par for the course for euro luxury/front drive vehicles.

I would buy another one apart from the fact they are all a bit old now - the last one made is now 12 years old - and the saab 95 which succeeded it is a far superior vehicle, or so I have been told.

Review Date: 21st April, 2008

1992 SAAB 9000 Turbo CD from North America

Model year1992
First year of ownership1998
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

I gave it back to the person that sold it to me

I bought it for only $3,000 and spent about $15,000 over three years repairing and or replacing just about everything in the car. I knew that it needed a little work at the time. I just didn't know that the labor rates and parts costs would be as high as any car. The rebuilt motor cost about $4,000.

General Comments:

It was very quick for a four cylinder and had great gas mileage. But the air conditioning can't handle the hot Sacramento summers and there was no way I could keep up with a 740 BMW.

Review Date: 26th September, 2007