1993 Saturn SL Reviews - Page 4 of 11

1993 Saturn SL SL2 from North America

Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

Good beater

Driver Window not going down, overheating.

General Comments:

Besides those 2 problems this car has been solid, good MPG, car can get going on the highway (non racing)

Review Date: 17th August, 2007

1993 Saturn SL SL1 1.9L SOHC from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 1.9L SOHC Automatic
Previous carNissan Maxima

Summary:

A great car for someone who needs reliability and economy.

The muffler has been replaced 4 or 5 times.

The air conditioner stopped working at around 170,000 miles due to a leaking evaporator.

Everything else has been regular wear and tear (oil, brakes, tires, filters, etc.) Very occasionally something a little bigger has been required (i.e. struts), but never anything major.

General Comments:

This car has been terrific. For all of the negative comments people have posted with the SL1 engine, I am convinced that many of them did not take care of the car properly. This car gets 37 mpg on the freeway and 25-30 in the city with 210,000 miles on it. It starts easily on the coldest Minnesota winter nights (sometimes temperatures lower than -20 F). It accelerates and shifts smoothly, never burns oil and has required no drive train work other than maintenance. All I have done is keep up with all of the recommended service (I do most of that work myself), and I fix problems as soon as I notice them while they are still small. The car is pretty slow and fairly noisy to ride in, but I bought it for economy and I simply could not be happier. Keep in mind that most people only post on sites like this when they are having problems. I doubt that I am the only happy Saturn owner out there. I hate to see so many negative comments about such a great car.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2007

1993 Saturn SL SL2 from North America

Year of manufacture1992
First year of ownership1993
Previous carVolkswagen volkswagen

Summary:

I want my odometer replaced at no cost!

My car has awesome mileage for a 1993. BUT... I recently found out 91-93 Saturn SL's all the odometers burn out!!! To replace it is just not one part, you need to REPLACE the WHOLE thing!! The price is outrageous! Since this is a disfunction on the manufactor side... I think SATURN should PAY/REPLACE this for customers at NO COST!

I am so disappointed in Saturn.

General Comments:

Other than my MAIN comment above... the car is good. The car seats are a little too low and this makes getting out a little difficult.

Review Date: 7th February, 2007

8th Feb 2007, 06:40

Yes, let's all expect manufacturers to replace parts FOR FREE in a 15-year old car. Great idea.

1993 Saturn SL SL1 1.9 Liter from North America

Engine and transmission 1.9 Liter Manual
Distance when acquired194862 miles
Most recent distance202558 miles

Summary:

Great used economy car, NOT SPORTS COUPE!

It has a leak on the main engine gasket - has had it since 198,000 miles, but going to get oil-top ups once a week has kept it in great running shape.

When I got it the seat belt motor on the driver's side didn't work.

It got in a wreck in 1998 and the previous owner's son put the parts back on in Auto Shop, but failed to paint it.

Speaker system needs replacement, shouldn't be a problem as I have my ipod speakers in there.

General Comments:

This car can get me into the tightest spaces - it's very easy to maneuver around.

The interior is in great shape - especially the back seats, but the car is very low to the ground so it can be a pain getting in for stiff or older people. The back seems to have been designed for children as I can't get adults to get in there without complaining.

I'm at 202,000 miles going strong on it, and I average 32-40mpg - I drive on average 200 miles a week and at today's gas prices it's $40 a month to run assuming you drive that much.

I love my moon roof.

The manual transmission has nice perks - It drives excellent in the snow and I can allocate power as I please which is great for a car whose horsepower is about 85.

I've never had any major problems, and the documentation that came with it showed that it has never been through anything horribly expensive - except for a clutch/flywheel replacement in 1998 due to a reckless teenager.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this car - as long as you don't treat it like it's a performance car, it will run even 90 on the freeway every day! It just needs regular maintenance.

Review Date: 31st March, 2006