1999 Saturn SL 2 1.9 litre from North America

Summary:

Two thumbs up

The clutch needed replacing at 170,000 km.

Shocks and struts.

Battery, spark plugs.

Starter, alternator drive belt.

Water pump, brakes.

General Comments:

The 1999 Saturn SL2 is a great affordable car to drive, both fuel wise, and very low maintenance. I've had this car for 6 years, and have driven it daily putting on 40,000 km of city only driving a year. I've never had a car take the punishment of hard city driving and never let me down. Most of the repairs were done close to the 200,000 km mark.

Saturns that were built in the 1990's were great cars. They had good American parts, and some European parts. They were built independent in Nashville from GM. So if you want a car that will put money in your bank, the SL series will deliver.

Today cars are amazing, but with so much tech put into them, and so many Mexican and Chinese parts, nothing lasts any more. So stick with old faithful, the Saturn SL2.

And if you do buy a Saturn, buy the manual.

Review Date: 9th September, 2014

1999 Saturn SL 1.9 SOHC from North America

Summary:

The car is better than I expected it to be

Rear wheel cylinders (brakes) at 83,000.

Radiator cooling fan at 121,000.

Idler pulley at 138,000.

Belt tensioner/pulley at 138,000.

Idle air controller at 150,000.

General Comments:

Phenomenal average fuel mileage of 34 MPG in mixed driving with an automatic transmission.

The vehicle has survived a low speed front end offset collision, a low speed rear end collision, and a high speed glancing side brush with an interstate Jersey barrier with surprisingly little damage (right front fender, tire rim, bumper cover all repaired with salvaged parts. The only frame damage is from a rear impact, and that is livable without repair as the trunk still operates normally).

Cabin noise is higher than most cars from engine and road noise.

1.9L SOHC motor is not very quick when mated to the 4 speed automatic transmission. However, I've been able to coax more out of it when I've needed to.

I've driven this car twice across the United States without incident. It's great on level ground. It's not as confidence inspiring in the mountains. And unlike some other reviewers, I think the firm seats are better for very long drives.

What I love about this car is how hardy and surprisingly reliable it has been. Very few repairs outside of normal maintenance.

Review Date: 8th January, 2013

1999 Saturn SL SL1 1.9 from North America

Summary:

Very suitable for a low/medium income family

Driver's seat springs kept breaking.

Replaced motor mount at 58,770.

Replaced oxygen sensor at 65,700 miles.

Replaced master brake cylinder at 75,650 miles.

Replaced air conditioner system at 79,000 miles.

Replaced radiator at 121,850 miles.

Replaced air conditioner system at 123,760 miles.

Replaced alternator at 123,760 miles.

Driver's seat still broken.

General Comments:

After all the repairs, I still get 28 city, & 34 miles per gallon gas.

My Saturn took me up to Canada, down to Florida, far to the west with no problems or worries at all.

There was plenty of space for luggage & other accessories for our trips around the country.

Being cheap on gasoline was a priority, which we appreciated very much, since we have been on a limited budget.

The way the car handled was suitable for me, and also for my wife and son.

Since my wife passed away several years ago, I am keeping my Saturn up to snuff, with repairs that are necessary to keep my small retirement income in check.

If Saturn were on the new market today, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, having had the experience of actually owning one.

Sounds as though I had a lot of work on my Saturn, but compared to the rest of the cars I've owned, I am grateful for the performance of that vehicle.

Review Date: 27th May, 2012