2000 Saturn SL Reviews - Page 4 of 8

2000 Saturn SL 1.9L from North America

Engine and transmission 1.9L Automatic

Summary:

Excellent car

Gasket problem fixed under warranty by first owner. No problem with that since. Temperature sensor, caused the car to idle at 70 km per hour. Fixed for about $200.

A/c, defrost, recirculate buttons seriously close to cup holders. You guessed it - sticky buttons. Arm rest in door, can't take elbow weight and breaks under the vinyl.

General Comments:

Otherwise, Great car. Reliable throughout winter. Rust resistant of course. Excellent economy. Looks good. Wife loves it.

Review Date: 21st July, 2007

2000 Saturn SL SL1 Single Overhead Cam from North America

Engine and transmission Single Overhead Cam Manual
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

I miss my Saturn and regret my recent purchase

When I sold the car the fan wouldn't work on the highest setting-the rest of the setting worked fine.

There was a little sputtering (probably a clogged fuel injector).

Needed to have clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing replaced.

Seat material was wearing pretty thin on the side close to the door.

General Comments:

My Saturn was by far the best car I've ever owned.

Now having two Fords and a Chrysler under my belt along with the Saturn, I'd wish that I had stuck to the Saturn line.

I put every mile on this car and it never left me stranded...other than a flat tire.

Other than a fuel filter replacement at $180 at around 125k miles all I did, literally, was change the oil and put gas in the tank and it was great until the day I sold it.

Shame on me for forsaking the Saturn family.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2007

2000 Saturn SL DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission DOHC Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

Great car, been dependable except for the transmission

Automatic transmission went out because of a failure in the upper valve body. It's a common issue with the 2nd generation Saturn SL series. Repair costs can get very expensive if it is not fixed right away.

General Comments:

The transmission is the only part that has ever given us any problems on this car. The body has held up well (its plastic) and the motor still runs strong. I replaced tires and belts at about 65,000 miles.

Seats sit very low, but it's still comfortable. The leather seats are finally showing some minor wear on them.

This car handles well, but is seriously lacking in the power department.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2006

2000 Saturn SL sl2 1.9 DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.9 DOHC Manual
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

I love it wish they still made it

Motor mount.

General Comments:

Great car that has lasted very well. I got over 41 mpg on freeway (my highest was 46) enough power and at 133000 miles I have the original brakes still on the car. Super reliable, all I do is put gas in it. This is not a sports car, but is sporty for a 4 cylinder.

Review Date: 16th March, 2006

2000 Saturn SL SL1 Four Cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission Four Cylinder Manual
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

Very Poor Performance

Piston in number 3 cylinder fragmented at 94,000 miles.

General Comments:

Saturn does not stand behind their vehicles - although they love to advertise how their cars achieve over 200,000 miles with typical maintenance.

Review Date: 8th September, 2005

4th Jan 2011, 23:09

I have a 1993 SL1 with over 300k miles on the original engine and transmission. My father bought it new in '93 and it's been in the family ever since. My daughter has it in Savannah now for college.

I believe using synthetic oil and regular maintenance is the key. I'll buy another Saturn (obviously used).

5th Jan 2011, 17:53

Nope, I disagree completely with the above comment.

1996+ Saturns are junk cars, they don't look bad but their engines and head design were changed. This causes varying cylinder head problems ranging from head gaskets to the heads cracking and filling the radiator full of oil, cause the crank to run dry, which causes the failure of the bearings and/or the block cracking.

2000 Saturn SL SL1 1.9L from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 1.9L Automatic
Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

Good, reliable car

I had to replace the brakes within 2 months of purchasing the vehicle (but I did buy it used).

The car burns oil very quickly, I have to put a quart or two of oil in every 3 or 4 weeks.

General Comments:

This would be a great car for a first time driver or for someone with a small family (2 children max.) or for someone older without any young children.

Performance of this car fit my expectations since I didn't expect "muscle" in a Saturn.

I am not good with regular maintenance on vehicles and I have never kept up with changing the oil every 3000 miles, but this car runs the same now as it did when I first purchased it.

When I purchased the car I did not have any previous experience with Saturn but, after owning this car, I would purchase another Saturn product again.

Review Date: 27th July, 2005

17th Aug 2005, 06:56

I have a 1999 Saturn with 125,000 miles on it. It has been reliable, I did all scheduled maintenance as suggested and it still burns oil very quickly.

2nd Jan 2006, 19:23

My 1999 Sl has 165,000 kms on it (purchased used 3 yrs ago) and I have to top the oil up approx. once a month.