1995 Saturn SW Reviews - Page 3 of 3

Model year1995
First year of ownership1997
Most recent distance193379 kilometres
Previous carPlymouth Sundance

Summary:

Great, reliable car. Heater could work better, but everything else has been trustworthy

Alternator had to be replaced.

EGR valve body had to be replaced.

Driver electric window assembly replaced.

General Comments:

Great, reliable car.

Serviced by Saturn dealer, and now GM Dealer (no Saturn in area). Glad to see GM step up to continue the maintenance.

Saturn service on EGR initially cleaned valve body. Had trouble with it again, and Saturn replaced valve body, but did not charge labour as original cleaning did not correct the fault.

I would buy another one if we had a Saturn dealer within a two hour drive.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2005

22nd Dec 2006, 18:05

If you're having trouble getting heat out of your Saturn you should look into getting a new Thermostat. I'd highly recommend buying one from your Saturn dealer as it is a fairly vehicle specific part. I was able to change mine in about fifteen minutes and when I was all done the car heated up to the correct operating temperature, thus making the heater work better and improving my fuel mileage.

1995 Saturn SW SW1 1.9L 4 from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 1.9L 4 Manual
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

An economical, trustworthy vehicle for the long haul

Slight head gasket leak at 200,000 km. Had it repaired - $700.

Quill bearing leak at 20,000 km and at 300,000 km and leaking again (should get it fixed for free)

General Comments:

Objectively speaking, this has been the most trouble-free vehicle I have owned. I chose it over a Corolla wagon because of price. The Corolla was $22,000 and the Saturn was $16,000 with identical equipment. I chose wisely.

The biggest deal with these cars was having the oil changed at 5,000km, religiously. At over 343,000 km, my car needs 1/2 litre of oil between changes (I could get away without topping it up, but why take the chance). Apparently, there were quite a few of these cars that were oil burners, but I haven't heard of any whose oil was changed that frequently.

I found the seats comfortable, but quite low. Now that they're 9 years old, the driver's seat is sagging a bit, but I've stuffed some foam underneath, which has remedied things for now.

In terms of mileage, I get an honest 40 mpg, traveling 120 km/hr.

Would I get another of the SW series? No, because of the seats (more complaints from others than me) Would I get another Saturn? I'd feel quite confident owning another one.

I'd feel confident taking this car across country at the drop of a hat.

Review Date: 9th June, 2004

24th Aug 2007, 21:20

We bought the 1995 sw1 new and it has been one of the best buys we have ever made (of any kind). This vehicle has been incredibly reliable and still gets fantastic gas mileage. And, since the outer body is plastic, small dents and dings pop right out... making this vehicle look (almost) like new even thought we've had it for 12 years. We have been looking for a new vehicle to replace (eventually) our sw1, but we can't find anything that meets our criteria (great gas mileage, inexpensive, room for 2 kids and 2 big dogs)... there is just nothing like it. I agree with others, the seats aren't great. However, with a nice back support wedge I purchased from my chiropractor, I can go across country no problem! If Saturn was still making these wagons, with a couple modern conveniences, they wouldn't have had to close their factory in Tenn. In fact, with the price of gasoline today, these vehicles would be selling like "hot cakes". Kelly (Virginia)

1995 Saturn SW SW2 1.9 4cyl from North America

Engine and transmission 1.9 4cyl

Never broke down on me. Routine replacement of worn parts around 45,000 miles.

General Comments:

I was sandwiched in a rear-ender, totalled the car. Crumple zone likely saved me from serious injury. Probably saved the guy who hit me too. Seriously considering upgrading to an LS2.

Review Date: 11th December, 1999