2005 Scion tC Reviews

2005 Scion tC from North America

Year of manufacture2004
Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carFord Expedition

Summary:

Most reliable car I've ever owned

Paint chipped a bit after two years, but not bad.

Had to replace the back hatch lift handle/light TWICE. It's just plastic, and if your hatch starts sticking at any point, you tend to put more pressure lifting it, and the handle starts to loosen until it finally breaks (I've noticed this on several tC's on the road).

Seats stain quickly, along with interior door panels.

General Comments:

This car is great for the money.

Had no major problems at all.

Replaced battery at 5 years (typical).

Replaced the head light lamps twice the first year, but then never again.

Replaced tires about every 35k miles.

Gave it regular oil changes and tire rotation every 5k miles.

Absolutely no mechanical problems.

The tC comes with a timing chain, not belt, so that's expected to last the life of the car.

Other than the hatch lift breaking twice and the hatch handle literally melting off from Texas heat, have had no major issues.

I just surrendered title to the insurance company from a total loss in a non-fault collision :( I went this weekend to clean out my belongings, and I sat behind the wheel to reminisce. I turned the ignition switch one last time and she cranked right up (sounded great)... she was one tough cookie, with an awesome look.

Going to go buy another one this weekend. You can't top its reliability.

Review Date: 13th October, 2011

2005 Scion tC 2.4L 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2005
Engine and transmission 2.4L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carBuick Skylark

Summary:

Great value for the money

There is an annoying rattle which occasionally comes from the rear of the car, I believe it is the hatch, but I am not sure. It does not happen all the time.

The air conditioner has begun to smell of mildew or mold as of a few months ago (3 years after I bought the car new). I've heard that a $20 product will get rid of this but have not yet tried it.

Other than that the car has been mechanically flawless.

General Comments:

I paid 16K for this car new in '05, stock except for the pedestal spoiler. I cannot think of a car that is a better value. It comes with a decent sound system, solid engine, and a standard power moon roof.

As long as you are not expecting $25K build quality in this $16K car, you will almost certainly be satisfied. The dash is simple yet functional, the seats have no power options but are reasonably comfortable, and the amount of space behind the rear seats is impressive for a 2 door coupe/hatchback. With the rear seats folded down there is a lot of storage space in the back, enough to fit 2 full size bikes and a few backpacks.

A common complaint I have heard is gas mileage. I routinely see 26mpg in mixed town/highway driving, and have seen as high as 35 mpg with the A/C on driving 70mph on the highway. With this car as with all others, your mileage is very dependent on your driving habits.

I probably sound like a salesman right now, so here are some shortfalls:

-Rear headroom is horrible. Anyone over 5'6" is going to hit their head on the roof... but hey, legroom is awesome.

-The black interior (only option on the '05) gets really hot in the sun, and has started to fade slightly.

I do not drive this car hard, but at this rate I'll still be driving it in 10 years.

Review Date: 5th October, 2008