2001 Seat Ibiza Reviews - Page 2 of 3

2001 Seat Ibiza Cupra 20VT 1.8 turbo from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.8 turbo Manual
Previous carFord Puma

Summary:

The bad build quality seriously outweighs any good points

1. Loose front grille.

2. Bulb failure of internal light.

3. White paint on seat belt buckle - waited 4 months for a replacement.

4. Exhaust silencer problems - repairs of this led to further problems where by the exhaust was banging against the body of the car - both problems were still in evidence despite 4 repair attempts.

5. Excessive creaks from the entire dashboard.

6. Defective Traction Control System (TCS) - TCS indicator light did not come on when starting the engine, but comes on if the TCS button is held in. Never felt the TCS system working despite setting off at speed in the wet - the car just spins it's wheels.

General Comments:

Great drivers car, but extremely badly built. I should have smelt a rat when the showroom car that I test drove had faulty windscreen wipers. The car had faults that the dealer failed to fix time and time again and the part supply situation was a joke. Waiting 4 months for a replacement seat belt is unacceptable.

It's a seriously quick car, but the power isn't all that immediate - you have to work the gears to get the most out of the engine. The other main problem with the car however is it's rock like suspension. This would be great on a track, but on Britain's pot-holed roads it soon becomes an irritation. Especially when the car is so badly built that over time it seems to shake itself to bits!

I'd had enough of the car and it's many faults after just 6 months. I then traded it in at a massive loss. Ah well, you win some you lose some...

Review Date: 16th June, 2003

24th Jun 2003, 07:55

I had the same kind of experience with a Seat Leon, bad quality, bad service, bad car.

Sold it after 7 months losing 3000 Pounds in the process, but I'm happy I got rid of it.

Seat? never again!

31st Jul 2003, 10:39

I aggree... I own a SEAT IBIZA CUPRA 2000 model (With ESP) and the problem I've had six months after I bought up until June 2003 was ESP. I fixed (actually tried to fix it) numerous times and the last time which was June 2003 seemed to be OK,.. but it's only been a month! Other problems were the indicator for the airbags was on for a while, the clutch pumps (both of them) died on my while on a trip, the two 'lamda' sensors had to be changed, the electronic gas (starter) was changed and if I remember well that's mainly it as far as mechanical and electronic problems are concerned. To conclude, the car is ONLY TROUBLE!! VW engine, but SEAT quality once again!!

2001 Seat Ibiza Cupra 20VT 1.8 turbo petrol from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.8 turbo petrol Automatic
Previous carSeat Ibiza

Summary:

A bargain at £13000, interest free

Rattle behind the dashboard. Dealer has attempted to fix it 3 times. Have now resigned to the fact that the problem is there to stay.

No other problems.

General Comments:

Car suffers from turbo drag, but performance is otherwise good.

Comfortable and easy to drive.

Good factory fitted security.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2002

2001 Seat Ibiza Chill 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carSeat Ibiza

Summary:

A problem car from the start

Incorrect clutch fitted during manufacture and so far the car has had 1 new clutch & 4 clutch cables. Still not resolved.

Central locking locked me in and would not open for a while. This could have been dangerous if in an accident.

Flickering dashboard lights.

Squeaky driver seat repaired 3 times.

Badly closing back doors.

Engine Management Light comes on at regular intervals.

The engine misfires every now and again.

Faulty bonnet catch.

Noisy exhaust.

Door panel faulty and now replaced.

General Comments:

The car has been one big problem since I bought it.

I am still waiting for the clutch to be resolved.

Review Date: 29th October, 2002

16th Jun 2003, 03:59

It sounds to me as if you have had a bad experience with your car, more over I think you have had a bad apple. I have owned my Seat Ibiza Chill for neatly 2 years and 25000 miles and have not had one single problem. The first service cost £120 and the second £85. In fact it is such a good reliable and stylish little car my brother, sister and father now all have a Seat Ibiza Chill.

I know this may seem like I'm trying to win you over to like the car, but all ia mean to say is that it just a bit of bad luck for you whereas most Seat owners are very happy with their car.