2003 Seat Leon CUPRA R 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Beautiful

CD player started to chew the Cd's.

General Comments:

The car is extremely reliable and acceleration is excellent.

This car is exciting beyond belief and attracts a lot of gazes!

Review Date: 25th November, 2004

16th Dec 2004, 13:33

My cupra r is pants and so are the dealers.

10th May 2005, 16:05

Lancaster dealer still refuses to pick up the phone to arrange to to fix car, customer services coudent care less

2003 Seat Leon S 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Better than the staid VW Golf

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

The car is based on the Golf, but looks far more stylish. I am not saying I like the styling (its different, but not the best looking car!) but at least the car tries to look good and does not just rely on its suppos-ed fabulous image, like the Golf does to win round buyers.

Interior quality seems very good, but its very dark and sombre- luckily the optional electric sunroof lets in some light.

High Spec including standard alloys, the tyres 195/65R15 look a bit too fat and bus like for my liking, but again they are not as bad as the Golf's 175/80R14!

What lets it down is the engine and drive. Again, better than a Golf in terms if handling, but the engine is slow and gruff, steering heavy and gear change ponderous.

Its better than a Golf though (have I already said that???)

Review Date: 16th August, 2004

27th Aug 2004, 08:52

Better than a Golf

Better than a Golf

Better than a Golf.

Sounds like the mantra from a Leon driver who regrets he did not buy a Golf.

Accept that you drive a Spanish car based on the old Golf and it makes live much easier.

26th Oct 2004, 05:35

Just to clear something up. I do not regret not buying a Golf. If I wanted to buy a Golf, then I would have done. But then my name would be Mr Bland from Blandford Forum. Obviously this person knows nothing- the Seat is virtually a VW in the interior layout, engines, materials etc, but it has more style and a more realistic price tag.

27th Oct 2005, 16:19

Anything is better than a leon, or was that the dealers!!!

2003 Seat Leon TDI 110HP 1.9 TDI from Spain

Summary:

Brilliant car, but must be polished in some components

I've had several issues with the car:

- I changed the Turbo because it crashed after 15000 kilometers (8.000 miles?). With Turbo Diesel Injected cars is usual to change the air mass meter, but not the turbo.

The suspension arm was broken (no hits given by my side)

The motor part responsible for charging the battery when running (we call it here something like "alternator") had to be changed.

I usually have backache and the seats don't help. There is no lumbar regulator.

General Comments:

Apart from all the problems I have had with the car, its behavior is brilliant. The official Horsepower is 110 although it has 127HP. On fast tracks works fine and it seems to be not as much noisy as others.

Sorry about mistakes ;)

Review Date: 13th July, 2004

2003 Seat Leon TDI SPORT FR 1.9 tdi from Spain

Summary:

The best daily car

Not a single thing.

General Comments:

The car is really fast and handles great. It's specially good on fast tracks.

The quality of the materials is superb and the cunsumpition low. The only problem is that for a sports car it's too heavy, but much better than any compact car.

Review Date: 25th January, 2004

16th Oct 2005, 12:04

Please remember this is not a sports car. It is a family hatch with a sporting attitude. But yes, what a great car.

2003 Seat Leon cupra 2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A beautiful bargain

Nothing.

General Comments:

This car is beautiful to drive, it has a massive amount of power and the handling is excellent.

I was involved in a serious accident in the car, the airbags and fantastic build of the car not only save my life, but left me practically unmarked.

Review Date: 10th December, 2003

2003 Seat Leon SX 1.9 TDI from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Where is that mpg?

Bought car to save money, tempted by the 50+ mpg. I have now reached over 3000 miles and still only achieving 46mpg. No mention that this is a gradual increase when I bought the car.

How is mpg test achieved if it takes 10,000 miles to run the car in?

Annoying whistle around door mirror area at about 50mph, went in to dealer to investigate, after 4 hours and lots of tape, I still have whistle, but not as much.

Started car this morning and had a horrific scream come from the engine area, like a fan belt squeal, I will get dealer to investigate.

Seat have changed the retaining clips on the foot well mats to a lozenge shape. They have not however manufactured any mats to fit the new mounting. I have had car for two months and still no sign of mats. Will Seat pay for valet or replacement carpets, I don't think!

Had rear mud-flaps fitted to car when new, as I couldn't retain from Toledo because of different fitting. Mud-flaps were about £25. I was charged over £50 with them fitted. fitting is three screws per flap.

General Comments:

General Build quality is very good. Very impressed with the cars style and comfort.

Drive is enjoyable and smooth.

Service staff have always been polite and helpful.

Review Date: 11th November, 2003

13th Nov 2003, 03:16

I have a 110TDI MY01, basically same car as yours without the body coloured bumpers. All engines don't free up until way beyond 3000 miles. IIRC I was getting 46-50 if I drove reasonably in the first 10k.

Now, at 50k I'm averaging 50mpg on all motorway journey, higher on a-roads, let the car loosen up. All cars do this.

28th Nov 2003, 09:11

Our Passat TDi 110 (same engine) does between 48 and 54 mpg. Even a steady 46 in a car with this level of performance is damn good.

9th Feb 2004, 02:01

Anyone any idea what petrol consumption you get from a Seat Leon Cupra (not Cupra R) does at a constant 70mph?

15th Dec 2004, 06:44

I have a Toledo TDi SE 130 and have easily got 55+ mpg from the beginning, (28 miles on the clock). Even seen 67.7 on a run to Manchester from Southampton once, 80 mph most of the way. Think its the luck of the draw, but most easily give 50+