2005 Skoda Fabia rs 1.9 tdi pd from Croatia

Summary:

Economical, well designed pocket beast

Nothing wrong with the car so far.

Works good, quite for a diesel.

Initially,I thought that this car would be faster.

After about 2 months I got it chip tuned from 130bhp to 165 hp

Took about 2 seconds from my 0-100 time. Before it was 9.5, now it’s 7.5.

Before I got the back seats, spare tire and the door panels removed it was 8.0.

Honestly I miss the sound of the exhaust. It’s now really fast for a diesel, but you can’t hear the power. I am not looking for that vulgar and “I have a hole in my exhaust” sound. I want a powerful sound that is kind to your ears…. Like a tune….

I also did not like the stock shocks and springs setup. It was too high and in hard braking the rear of the car would sometimes slide around. Got that fixed by installing bilstein after-market shocks and spring setup. Lowered the car for a 3.5cm in front and 3 cm the back.

General Comments:

Now it is fixed to the ground and corners really well. I would recommend everyone who has this car to invest some cash and do these modifications. It is now definitely not the same car…..

Fuel consumption in probably gone up for about 0.8l/100km.

City, normal drive- 7.5 City sport drive 11.0 (max- mostly between 9-10) …open roads- 5.4

Top speed is now 230kph because of the chip (+20)

P.S.: Should shift gears at or slightly below 3500 because after that the car looses power. (this is normal for a diesel)

Hope I have been helpful.

Review Date: 1st June, 2006

31st Jul 2006, 06:56

Now this is a good review! I'm from Croatia too and have the Fabia vRS (I have my review down here somewhere on www.carsurvey.org ;) ). Everything you said is true, the acceleration time, the fuel consumption, handling... You keep thing objective, other like to exaggerate a bit (like a Fabia vRS doing 7s 0-100 or even less, LOL).

Mine does 0-100 in 8 seconds too, the fuel consumption in town is the same (mostly 9-10l/100km) and the open road is exactly the same, 5.4l ;)

The rear end likes to wobble around a bit if you go into understeer and let the gas pedal off too quickly. Nothing anyone should be concerned about. But the nose is heavy and there is a lot of tyre squeal when doing nimble corners. You get the best of two worlds, comfort and handling (although, neither is that good ;) ).

Oh yeah, the service shop is just horrible (stolen batteries from keys, 3 of 4 alloy wheels scratched...).

2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Do not be put off by the badge!

Nothing.

General Comments:

A mean looking car with mean performance to match.

Magic black is the colour to have, as the white and black seats have a strong contrast.

However, if you turn the ASR off, you will end up paying through the nose for new front tyres!

Review Date: 30th April, 2006

2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 TDI from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great car - nice to have something more unique!

Faulty alarm sensor made alarm go off randomly. Fixed same day by local dealership (not the dealership I bought the car through).

General Comments:

Excellent compromise between power and economy. Using expensive "Ultimate" diesel, I can average over 60mpg on my 30 mile journey to work. More likely to get around 45mpg if I pushed it.

Pulls extremely well in all gears, except for 1st - as with most diesels, 1st gear is only going to get you moving before a change is needed. That's why the 0-60 time is not that great. I'm sure that it would beat many more cars on a 10-60mph race.

Slightly plain dashboard, but very comfortable car. Heated seats and sunroof are nice extras.

Review Date: 27th April, 2006

2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 dieseel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Best car I have ever owned

Nothing.

General Comments:

The car has been sensational.

I have had many company cars, ranging from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to a Vauxhall Cavalier, but have never had so much fun in a car as this one.

I have decided to buy my own car this time, rather than take a company car, and have not regretted any minute of this.

The car is excellent, and despite the stigma that other people seem to put on the car, I find myself proud to own a Skoda.

I have done only 3500 in the car so far, but every mile has been full of fun.

I cannot recommend this car strongly enough………….

Review Date: 10th October, 2005

22nd Sep 2006, 05:25

It's too soon, after 3500 miles, to get an opinion about so many aspects. Post again at 300.000 miles!

27th Feb 2007, 16:01

"Post again at 300.000 miles!"

Be sure to send us any other comments the next time you visit the planet earth.

28th Feb 2007, 06:03

You can write a review on the Fabia Vrs after a 10 minute test drive. That's all it takes to realise why most owners feel like they have their own secret nuclear weapon. Torque, torque & more torque... and 300,000 miles later, you'll still be talking about how much torque it has.