2005 Skoda Fabia Elegance 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The car is a funny combination of reliable but constantly broken

I have had 34 electrical problems to date. My first problem was blowing bulbs, mainly L/H headlight. This turned out to be vibration at idle. I remounted the headlight on rubber shims, which has cured the problem.

Next was power steering failure, which turned out to be the load sense line to the alternator (broken wire).

Then the driver's door switch.

Rear wiper motor.

L/H rear door central locking failure.

Both rear doors leaking.

Rear hatch lock failure.

Passenger heated seat failure.

Driver's electric wing mirror.

Heater blower.

Air con won't hold gas.

Both front ABS wheel sensors at different times.

I have had problems with the driver's and passenger's windows moving on their own or just not moving at all.

Fuel temp sensor.

Coolant temp sensor.

General Comments:

I took it to Skoda for the first couple of problems, and found they just wanted to play parts darts with it. I started fixing the problems myself. I will say that it is always catching several faults, but it has never broken down and only once failed to start, which was partly my fault, as I left the lights on, but this was due to no lights on warning when I open the driver's door, as the door switch was not working.

The quality of the wiring is truly awful. There are bare wires everywhere, and where tape has been applied, it looks like the person who applied it was wearing boxing gloves.

Review Date: 17th January, 2015

19th Jan 2015, 16:34

I noticed that my list of faults is incomplete, but you should get the picture. I now have a car that is effectively worthless, as there are engine management problems that no one is prepared to give me a fix price for.

So, an otherwise mechanically perfect car will have to be sold as a non runner, even though it drives perfectly.

This is what happens when someone designed a condition monitoring system that is of inferior quality to the system it is monitoring.

2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Brilliant, but flawed

Leaking rear doors (common).

Paint bubbling due to water penetration under rubbing strips.

Worn console bushes (common).

Rear screen heater blows fuse due to water leaking from washer pipe (common).

Blower rheostat fails (common, every 18-24 months).

Rear calipers don't work properly after first brake disc/pad change (common, sort of fixed by adding Audi A3 tensioner springs).

Rear calipers leaking after brake service.

Clutch slipping after 50000 miles.

Driver's seat foam padding split, allowing a hole to wear in the seat bolster.

Due a timing belt service, which is expensive due to shoddy plastic water pump, and the need for new pulleys and tensioners.

General Comments:

Great performance from the 130bhp (228lb/ft) turbo diesel lump, and a pretty good drive for a small FWD hatchback. Modified to 180bhp and 312lb/ft it really shifts, leaving a lot of serious performance car drivers wide eyed and embarrassed. Driven sensibly it easily gets 50+mpg. Just a shame that the brilliant engine is let down by so many lacklustre components throughout the car.

Review Date: 19th November, 2011

2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 TDI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good, cheap, and fun!

DMF failed at 23,000 (changed clutch and water pump at the same time).

Fuel flap catch failed, but easily repaired.

Fuel pump relay failed.

Seats stained (but easily resolved).

General Comments:

It's a good car, but not the rocket that some people seem to think.

It's relatively quick, but as standard doesn't handle as well as it should. I put Eibach (-15mm) springs on mine with the standard dampers, and it improved the handling no end.

It's a quick car for not a lot of money, and running costs are quite cheap.

Review Date: 5th November, 2010

2005 Skoda Fabia Comfort 1.4 TDI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great car for young drivers, or those that are looking to run a car on a budget, good drive

Getting a car that had 70000 miles on the clock you'd expect to have a few issues, but it hasn't been too bad.

I had an electronic engine management problem, which wouldn't allow me to rev over 3000 rpm, which was a bloody nuisance (although was easily fixed) and had to change the alternator. That apart, it's been very reliable, and still feels well put together.

General Comments:

Despite being a 1.4 diesel, the car has relatively good acceleration; I've been in worse Golfs.

The handling is pretty good; a lot sharper than other cars that I've driven in higher price ranges with sporting pretensions.

The car's economy is a real strength, it's the cheapest thing that I've driven without being totally dull to drive.

Generally well put together with good build quality.

Review Date: 4th October, 2010