2005 smart forfour Pulse 1.3 from Switzerland

This is a good, fun-to-drive car, why didn't it sell better?

General Comments:

My wife bought this car to replace her original smart for two when we had a second child. There are contrasts and similarities between these two cars from smart:

Similarities are that both cars have character, often lacking in modern cars although I admit with smart it can be a love it or loathe it experience. Both cars are also surprisingly practical for their size. The forfour can easily seat four adults and the back seat slides to trade leg room with boot space. Quality seems good and the plastic bodywork is resistant to scrapes and dings picked up in car parks. Interior layout is also stylish and more interesting than many other super minis.

Contrasts: The forfour handles like it is on rails. We have the 1.3 - not the sporty brabus model, but the lively Mitsubishi sourced engine and low weight make it great fun to drive. The old ForTwo handled very poorly and once out of town was a disaster. In winter I would even say it was dangerous. The ForFour is amazing in comparison. The gearbox of our ForFour is an automated manual, but is quicker and less jerky than the original forTwo plus it has a creep mode which makes town stop-start driving more responsive than with the old forTwo. Makes a good compromise between manual control (in tiptronic mode) and a true automatic. Motorway driving is also possible and comfortable in the forFour.

In general we really like this car.

Review Date: 7th February, 2008

2005 smart forfour Passion 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Try one and buy one.. it's brilliant!

Absolutely nothing!

General Comments:

This is a great little car! It has an individuality and character missing from more mainstream and run of the mill small hatchbacks.

The performance from the little 3 cylinder engine is very impressive, helped no doubt by the light weight of the car. It has a very addictive engine note too.

This car comes packed with kit... all round disc brakes with ABS and esp, traction control (yes on a 1.1!) air con, electric power steering, alloys, panoramic roof and the list goes on!

The two colour mix of a silver 'Tridion' frame and flame red 'plastic' body panels looks very distinctive and stylish. The interior too is a very pleasant place to spend time.

It really puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, and it has a high 'cool' factor, with people often asking what it is and what it's like to own/drive.

I am nonplussed as to why a) it didn't sell better b) MB/DC pulled the plug. Try one and buy one... I did and I LOVE IT!

Review Date: 11th May, 2007