2006 Subaru Forester XT 2.5 liter turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Performance, space, both on and off road credentials

Nothing major has gone wrong with the car so far.

Spot lights have blown out a few times, but that's it.

Rear brake pads need replacing next service.

General Comments:

Great all around car, and a good choice for the someone that wants understated performance from this versatile car.

The turbo spools up casually, and is nice and progressive, although there is a slight lag.

As it's an AWD 2.5 turbo, it is thirsty, but nothing more than what you expect (around 400kms per tank).

Seats in the XT could be a little more curved to the body, and a long drive can make you a little uncomfortable, but besides that, the driving position and vision are excellent.

Steering is sharp with good feel, and the tiptronic box is good but a little laggy, and more for show than real use.

Review Date: 29th April, 2009

14th Feb 2010, 16:28

Couldn't agree more with this review. I have now had my 06 Forester XT for over a year, and it's a wonderful all around car. Interior can feel a little cheap next to its more expensive rivals, but hey, I bought the car knowing that.

The turbo lag can bog you down at times, but once it picks up, it always brings a smile to your face. The tiptronic box is not as effective as the auto box off the blocks, but works well for compression braking and off road driving where you want to lock a gear in.

Seats are a let down, and do not supply the lateral or lumbar support needed; this is my only real gripe with what is an all around great car, lots of fun to drive, surprises many hot sedans on the road at the lights.

2006 Subaru Forester X with Premium Pkg 2.5L SOHC 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Possible lemon?

Head gasket started leaking on the driver's side of the engine at 34000 miles. The dealer checked it at 43000 and BOTH head gaskets were leaking oil and coolant. Given the fact the exhaust manifolds are right under the heads, an oil leak is a potential fire danger if oil drips onto the very hot exhaust piping. Dealer replaced both head gaskets under warranty at 43405 miles and assured me that the problem wouldn't likely repeat itself before 200,000 miles. I bought a Subaru based on the many positive reviews and comments my Subaru owning customers had made. To have head gasket issues develop so quickly has made me doubt the legendary reliability I've heard so much about. I am an ex-Honda/Acura technician and I don't recall those cars suffering any major problems before 200,000 miles.

General Comments:

AWD is excellent in snow, handles fairly well for what it is. Fuel economy is great for an AWD car.

Review Date: 27th December, 2008

2006 Subaru Forester Premium 2.5 SOHC Aluminum from North America

Summary:

Disappointment in quality of interior fabric

The cloth seats are fraying at seams. Dealer replaced the front seats once, but they are once again doing the same thing. Service Field Manager even looked at car last week and took additional photo's. So far only offer of repair is free 30,000 mile service which still leaves seats in condition they are.

General Comments:

Really enjoy the car for driving on ice and snow. Disappointed with response to my concerns for the quality of the fabric.

While having my car's seats looked at by the dealer we looked at new cars on the lot with the same light beige cloth seats that already had strings sticking out on the seams. I even had a loaner Forester with the gray cloth that had the same problems, but to a lesser extent.

My old 99 Ford has 185,000 miles on it and the seats still look new and are in better condition than the Foresters.

Review Date: 1st March, 2008

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5X premium 2.5 from North America

Summary:

This car is remarkable in most ways

Speakers vibrated with heavy bass.

General Comments:

My wife and I are walking the planet today because of this great car. We were on a ski trip to Mt. Hood OR. on a slick, snow and ice covered road, nearing the summit when around a blind corner came a car spinning in circles at around 50MPH. There was very little traffic and the car comming down the hill was an SUV with an obviously overconfident driver. As he spun his way directly toward our Subaru, I came to the realization that he was going to hit us at a high rate of speed. I had slowed some hoping his trajectory would change in our favor but it did not. The only thing I could do was to accelerate around him. I feared I would only be hopelessly spinning my tires but I was wrong. The Forester premium has a differential slippage limiter that kicked in and got us around the other SUV without slipping at all. I seriously don't think any other car could have done this. The Michelin ice tires I run on it helped as well I'm sure but I mostly credit the Subaru. We did not make contact at all and theother vehicle hit a deep snow bank backwards. Incredably no one in that vehicle was seriously injured. It was a close call that could have ended much worse for everyone.

Review Date: 16th February, 2008