2006 Subaru Forester X Premium 2.5 from North America

Subaru's reliability reputation is a facade

The catalytic converter was replaced at 27,000 miles. The repair was under warranty, but I had to wait 2 months for the part.

Then the dealer broke some other part, during the repair. My car was in the shop for a week while I was stuck driving a junky 10-year-old Legacy, which I barely fit into.

General Comments:

AWD is excellent.

I think the reliability reputation is a facade.

Review Date: 26th January, 2008

26th Feb 2008, 16:39

You kiddin?

You are complaining about a catalytic converter going out at 27,000 and then claim it's an unreliable car because of it?

Get a life sir/maam.

9th Apr 2008, 04:05

I agree totally with the first comments, we have had several issues with our car (a $45,000 brand new car less than a year old) including the following;

1. Speedometer is 9km out - this is within 10% standards and so Subaru will not fix it

2. Suspension and Suspension coils broken at 30,000km with no off road driving

3. Cruise Control and Brake Lights needed replacing at 25,000km due to faulty switches

4. Diff which drives the car broken at 5,000km - we are still waiting for the parts to be ordered a month later as they are on backorder (obviously a common problem)

This is in a brand new car!

We are not impressed with the car (despite being nice to drive - when it is working), nor or we impressed with the customer service and will not being buying a Subaru again.

27th May 2008, 13:55

Be happy your problems were only limited to a defective Cat Converter. My 05 Forester's 2.5L engine stopped dead with a huge puff of smoke and roar on the Interstate at 47,000 miles. Problem was coolant pressure related. The instrument panel oil and temp warning lamps never came on. Turns out the head gasket cut loose on the #3 cylinder and all the oil & coolant blew out at 65MPH thus burning up the engine in seconds. Subaru says it's not covered. All of the routine maintenance schedules were followed at the dealer. Thankfully it was a lease car and not owned. This piece of garbage Subaru has since been replaced with a Toyota which runs and drives far better. Stay away from Subaru! Their 2.5L engines are time bombs.

27th Oct 2008, 23:57

I would never dispute that the car may have no issues, but I must say my experience has never been as bad as those stated above me. I've had three Subaru Forester's in the last 15 years, my second was smashed in an accident, after two years of service, with a drunk which left me and three passengers without a scratch while the driver of the Camry wasn't as lucky, but she is fine.

I've never had any major issues with any of the my Foresters, they have all performed tremendously well all year round and handle better than any rental I've ever had in Canadian winters. I can say that my cars have been very reliable and very safe, which is key, and handles great in all conditions.

1st Jan 2010, 16:08

Our engine failed at 118000. We took great care of the car, and have all the service records to prove it. I too think the supposed reliability of Subaru's is a facade.

2006 Subaru Forester X 2.5 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Nice car, but annoyed by the dealer!

Rear suspension has sagged 15-20mm.

Front left shocker noise.

Excessive oil consumption.

Drivers seat becoming uncomfortable.

General Comments:

Normally only has a driver in the car; occasionally a family of 5.

Keep getting flashed by other oncoming traffic for high beam headlights, as the rear of the car sits down all of the time.

Had to put in 1.5 litres of oil in last 11000 kms!

Review Date: 5th August, 2007

2006 Subaru Forester LX 2.5 from North America

Beginning to have doubts about Subaru quality

Car shuttering when started up. Continued for a while with the check engine light coming on and the cruise control indicator light flashing. The dealer explanation was the number 3 cylinder misfired. Only 27,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car started with relatively good gas mileage, but I have noticed a decline in the last several months.

There is a hesitation sometimes when accelerating that does not feel like the normal transmission shift delay.

Dealer states number 3 cylinder misfire may have been due to bad gas...however, I noticed other comments posted regarding number 3 cylinder misfire.

Review Date: 29th December, 2006

23rd Mar 2007, 19:31

I am having the same problem with mine (2.5 turbo), they say that bad gas could be it, I have gone through at least 5 tanks since the first time it started. I am on a first name basis with the Service Manager at the dealership now. I have researched it and I hove been led to the conclusion that it could be a capacitor, coil or and ECU. I am going to have them check it out in a few weeks so that I can get a loaner car. It is sounding more common than I thought though. Make sure that you change gas stations to see if it could be bad gas, I suggest you try Sunoco or BP, they are good and ONLY run premium! That should make a difference. Don't run cheap gas in it! I have 22,000 miles on mine and I treat it like GOLD!