2006 Subaru Forester X 2.5L EJ253 SOHC H-4 from North America

Summary:

Excellent car

Not much has gone wrong, other than the power steering rack sprang a leak a month ago. The dealership I purchased it used at replaced it under the extended warranty.

Other than that, no complaints.

General Comments:

Excellent car. 21 MPG average, and 24 if I never rev past 3000 RPM. It's quite comfortable, and seems to have decent power.

I do have a few minor complaints about it.

1. Electronic throttle. There's a slight delay (less than a second) from when you press the accelerator pedal to when the engine starts to rev.

2. Rattles. There is a heat shield that rattles all the time, as well as some of the rear cargo area trim, and the front passenger side door trim.

Other than that, I love the car.

Review Date: 27th August, 2012

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Any modern car with head gaskets leaks before 200000 km KM is seriously poorly engineered

Head gasket leaks at 95000 km service. Treated by the service agent as though this is a normal occurrence. Apparently this is a common failing of the 2.5 litre boxer. This is a seriously deficient design for a modern motor, and a brand of vehicle that is touted as reliable and well engineered. Head leaks have been a problem since the 2.5 litre was introduced around 2000. This is a poor response by the manufacturer. Obviously the market has not taken them to task over it and moved away in droves.

This is my last Subaru, despite the fact that they are designing a new engine.

Review Date: 4th October, 2010

8th Apr 2016, 03:13

Lighten up a bit. The H-G issue just isn't all that serious.

I've had Six... 6... Subarus and all except the SVX have needed a head gasket job. Once done... none have ever had the problem reappear. 4 of them are now have over 275,000 miles... each(!).

After one learns how to do a HG job... after the first head gasket job... it soon turns into only a five hour job total time(!). And a grand total of about $325... including machining each head.

My point... The fact that Subarus actually stay fixed... To me anyway... this is the real issue.

Once fixed, they do in fact stay fixed.

Heck: $325 and five hours of time doesn't seem to me all that big a problem to get 100% subsequent reliability. To me it's a fair deal.

So all in all... Subarus do indeed earn their reputation of high reliability. Notwithstanding the head gasket issue. All things considered, it just isn't all that serious.

2006 Subaru Forester X Premium package 2.5L non turbo from North America

Summary:

Subaru reliability is a myth

One head gasket replaced under warranty, started leaking again within 5000 miles, still leaking. Dealer won't fix even under warranty.

The 2.5L non turbo cars have a design defect that will eventually cost the owner some serious cash, especially if the head gasket really starts leaking and starts a fire from all the oil leaking out.

Don't buy one!

General Comments:

AWD is incredible in the snow, reasonable MPG, can't think of anything else good to say.

Review Date: 16th February, 2010

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5L from North America

Summary:

An overrated gas guzzling cheap piece of junk that masquerades as a midrange car. Don't buy a Subaru

Cooling system started leaking 3 weeks after we got it. Improperly tightened hoses from the factory or so they said. I still have had pesky cooling system leaks from day one. Most recent required replacement of the gaskets on the engine.

Also have had oil pan leaks. Pan gasket replaced at 22000 miles, but I still see drips every now and then.

Noisy window motors, rattles when partly open unless all the way down.

Plastic interior parts scratch easily and are cheap and chintzy overall.

It's been in the shop 2-3 times a year for other things like false dash lamp warnings and poor mileage also.

If this is supposed to be "Japanese quality" then I am definitely going back to Ford come November at trade in time!

General Comments:

Dealer service has been average not exemplary. Often long wait times for parts. Subaru dealership service has not gone out of their way to make me feel like I made a good choice buying a Japanese car. I wish that I had purchased a new Ford Fusion instead. Perhaps trade in on one in 6 months.

Subaru has not been anything special; no pride or love of ownership. It's a very over rated car that is not at all worth half of what they ask for it.

Buying a Subaru was a mistake. My neighbor's Toyota Camry is a much better put together car and cost him less than my Subaru, and has never been in the shop once. Never again will I buy a Subaru, nor will I recommend one to anyone.

Review Date: 11th July, 2009