2008 Subaru Forester Reviews

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carToyota Landcruiser

Summary:

Excellent all round car

Not a single problem as of yet.

General Comments:

Handles excellently. Almost impossible to slide out, even in the wet.

Acceleration is impressive for such an economical engine (sitting at 8.6L per 100km).

Roomy and comfortable inside.

Review Date: 8th September, 2013

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.5L 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

Not impressed at all. If this is Japanese quality, then I am going back to buying American

Driver side power window motor quit 4 months after purchase; replaced under warranty.

Automatic transmission rough downshifting when slowing from 40 mph or faster, starting at around 35K. Dealer service 'made adjustments'; so far so good.

Began to develop engine oil leaks at 67K. 2 to 3 drips every other day, stains on the driveway. Needed a new pan gasket.

Seats starting to show signs of wear at 50K.

Windshield wiper blades freeze up in freezing rain and icy weather, despite defrosters.

General Comments:

Comfortable ride and roomy, but uses a lot of gas with the AWD; even more than my Ford Crown Vic used to use, and that car was twice as big. Don't expect fuel economy from a Subaru.

The expected reliability of this car is well below my expectations for what I paid, and the dealer service was horrible. Subaru Authorized Dealer Factory Service is about the worst I have ever experienced; incompetent and poorly managed. Find yourself a good private mechanic, and stay away from the Subaru dealership for post-warranty service.

Review Date: 5th March, 2012

7th Mar 2012, 08:58

These are your complaints?

God, I had a Crown Vic that was in the dealer every 5 minutes.

31st Mar 2012, 21:36

I retired my Crown Vic with 203k miles on the clock. Apart from routine maintenance schedules, the only major repairs in 17 years of ownership were a new alternator and fuel pump. These repairs happened near the last years I owned the car.

This Subaru is showing signs of wear that should reasonably be a full decade in the future. It's cheaply made, and probably uses Chinese made parts. Never another Subaru; my next car, I'll go back to Ford.

1st Apr 2012, 10:09

Yeah, those Crown Vics are on the cutting edge of technology and reliability - if it were the 1970s.

29th Sep 2012, 01:13

...yet they're still obviously more reliable and durable than the junk being churned out nowadays. The toughest, most dependable cars were made in the 1970s. Compare a Mercedes W123 of that era with a brand new A Class, and you'll see my point.

29th Sep 2012, 12:59

Yeah the good old days of emission strangled engines, sloppy workmanship and rusting on the showroom floor - bring back the good old 70s - NOT!

29th Sep 2012, 17:25

Crown Vics are well-built and reliable, just like the full-size cars of the 70's.

2008 Subaru Forester 2.5x Sports 2.5L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L Manual
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

Reliable, capable, and great value

The hill holder function was over adjusted when I purchased the vehicle. It was corrected a week later.

General Comments:

Great power and a tight chassis make the Forester fun to drive. Since it is based on the Impreza platform, the gearbox is also sport-oriented.

Plenty of cargo room with the seats folded and more space up front than the 2005 Legacy, however, rear seat room is much tighter.

Great gas mileage, 28MPG combined city/highway.

All wheel drive excellent, as in all Subaru's.

The stock all-season Yokohama Geolander tires are great in the snow and dry pavement, but emit too much road noise.

Handles superbly off road and in inclement weather.

Cabin is too noisy at highway speeds.

Factory upgraded stereo/sub-woofer just adequate in my opinion.

Suspension a little too harsh.

Despite the negatives, this vehicle is a joy to drive, and problem free. I have owned many Subarus, and I will gladly put up with a lackluster stereo and wind noise for a reliable, safe, and solid vehicle.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2009

2008 Subaru Forester XS 2.0 injection from Romania

Model year2009
Engine and transmission 2.0 injection Manual
Previous carSkoda Octavia

Summary:

Technology and style at the highest Japanese level

Nothing so far, and is normal, having a new Japanese car.

General Comments:

The Forester we bought, we intend to use it so the whole family can go out week-ends, outdoors without being concerned about bad roads, mud and so on.

When we got the car from the dealer, we were all blown away about the car. My mom and dad said that this is a very very elegant car.

I chose the 2 liter non-turbo engine because it's more economical, and at 1200 KM on the clock the engines swallows just 10-11 liters/100 in town. Yes maybe the on-board computer isn't accurate, but one thing is certain: the consumption will drop a bit more as the car will reach 8000 KM.

This car is the perfect compromise (if I can call it like that) between a street car and an off-roader. You can easily speed up to make some nice cornering, and you also can crawl mud roads. Of course my personal opinion would be that the steering doesn't become tight at high speeds, you can still enter a curve just with your finger on the steer, so this is not very good, you need to be focusing on driving.

The engine, a 2 liter boxer engine is doing a great job. I really love the differential switch (which triggers the limited slip differential) located near the hand brake, and I also love the great number of airbags, ABS, ESP and the hill assistant system. Of course the symmetrical all wheel drive is also a tech candy, which makes Subaru to be a distinctive piece of car. The overwhelming technical part of the car is working hard so the driver doesn't have to. More than that, the driver has some nice tools to challenge a large number of terrains.

The cockpit is truly breath taking, and it looked like it was intended to cheer you and relax you, when after a hard day at work, you enter this car and go home. Absolutely magical!!!

I was and I still am amazed about it, of course is not a Lexus, or Range Rover, but at 30.000 euros I think you get a good elegant car, all techy features, safety on the road, and a Japanese product.

My opinion is that the German and French car manufactures should kiss the Japanese's feet and quickly grab a pencil and a notebook because the have a lot to learn when it comes to reliability, driver oriented products, and so on.

The thing that annoyed me at this car was the fact that the protection steel shields placed underneath the car are optional, but they aren't in production yet; the dealer told me the reason would be some safety regulation not met by them yet. So here I am waiting...

I don't say "go and buy it, it's the best you can get" but instead I would say that opening your eyes can make a difference. A short drive test will clarify the situation, and maybe you will feel that little "something" about the car that you can't explain, and you woke up signing the papers for one like mind controlled freak.

Review Date: 5th September, 2008

29th Jan 2009, 21:38

My first drive of a rented Forester!!! INTERIOR: cheap plastic easy to scratch. German based boxer engine without the refinement. Rattles all around. HP figures not available under the foot. Lane changes make difficult with AT hunting for gears. Potholes make this car feels old. Their symmetrical crap is based on a viscous-coupling transfer case offered in the 1973 Jeep Wagoneer. What else...

5th May 2009, 07:44

Update to the 5th Sep 2008, 02:51 comment. Well, now my forester has 7000 km on the clock. And I'm starting to love it even more. Got no problems with it obviously, except that the gas consumption has dramatically increased to 12-16 liters/100 KM, and I blame the way I drive (every day I drive like 4 kilometers and on rush hour). But, I got to tell you: you start to love this car when you leave the road, and head towards hills, forests, and muddy fields. Maybe I pushed this car more than it was built for, but it struggled and got me out of mud holes, high ramps and a lot of other obstacles, that I was doubting I can pass.

After all I am more than overwhelmed about this car capacity. Don't get me wrong, it's not a pure off-roader but you can have some memorable moments with astonishing sunset panorama.

And by the way I don't say Subaru is the best car in the world, but I admire the will to invent and innovate at a brand that doesn't do top sale. I think everyone must admit that is "something" different and unique about this car even considering the minuses it has.

17th Oct 2009, 15:57

To the German Guru, I admit that the interior design and equipment level in some Japanese cars may not be upto par with your high society standard, but when it comes to maintenance cost and durability after two or more decades, guess who is complaining -- read the reviews in the Merc and Beemer and compare the driver satisfaction of the Japanese made!