2017 Subaru Forester XT 2.0 litre turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Solid quality build with legendary reliability

Nothing yet and I don’t expect anything to go wrong.

General Comments:

This is our sixth Subaru, two previous Foresters, and an Outback, then an XV followed by the first Levorg in the UK, and now back to a new Forester. All of then were 100% reliable and great to drive; the Levorg was like a sports car with astonishing acceleration, but it was very low down, and old age and creaking joints called for something higher. We decided on a new Forester XT.

This is a 2 litre twin turbo; it does lack some of the high tech stuff on the Levorg like the electronic automatic parking brake (which we loved) and also the auto headlight dipping and the lane warnings if it detected anything in or around the car, however it is a joy to get in and out of, the powered tailgate is an absolute boon, and the sheer space inside makes it a great place to be. We’ve got a 500 mile trip coming up over Xmas and I’m sure it will behave as all our other Subarus have - perfectly!

Review Date: 2nd December, 2017

4th Dec 2017, 22:25

One cannot talk about reliability after 500 miles. In any way. Even if your previous cars of the same brand were reliable (recent Subaru had transmission problems). Reliability is a constatation, not an assumption.

4th Feb 2018, 19:27

First of all I can talk about reliability - it's not prohibited, and secondly I said I expect it to be as reliable as the previous 5 Subarus I have owned over the last 14 years!

5th Feb 2018, 11:24

We have had 3 manual trans models as well and concur!

5th Feb 2018, 22:23

What is 100% reliability -- never left you stranded? No unscheduled maintenance, ever?

6th Feb 2018, 10:21

Never was stranded. Did perform scheduled routine maintenance just like anybody else. Never even had a flat. Kept good rubber on the road. We realize that any car can fail tomorrow if you want to be a pessimist Some vehicles have more issues than others. Then factor in the owner's diligence on maintenance and driving patterns. Even terrain such as mountainous, heat or severe cold with longevity. If you maintain, even over-maintain, there’s less likelihood sitting along the road. Unless you are not watching your fuel level or texting and having an accident.

6th Feb 2018, 10:53

I would assume that would be the case, 5 Subarus, definitely had good experience enough to keep buying them. Of course, with 5 Subarus, it is also possible that the cars were kept only for a few years from new, and upgraded long before any possible breakdown could occur.

6th Feb 2018, 18:47

We don’t keep any cars long. Very fickle on what we buy. We had a few Subarus with just nothing negative to report. Then we bought other brands as well afterwards. Not a negative reason, just a change. Bringing up issues with transmissions, our Honda flagship Acura was our absolute worst with a very low odometer read. We were just at the big Philadelphia Auto Show and are shopping yet again. Nice to see the full gamut. Low end, the Kia Stinger Sport is cool. High end, there’s many.