1999 Subaru Impreza L wagon Brighton 2.2 gas from North America

Summary:

Very solid car, questionable gas mileage

Failed the emission test due to inoperative oxygen sensor. Cabin plastic is very easily scratched, looks very cheesy and cheap, but no rattles.

General Comments:

I was very impressed with the handling of this car. Although take off is not its strongest point, once it's going it makes you feel confident. The pick up is very quick even from 100km/h in fifth gear without downshifting. It seems to be built robust, but mine one is extremely basic, so I do not know how those bells and whistles of the higher models hold up. It also has a very nice feature of being very serviceable even for an amateur.

The only thing that annoys me is the gearbox.

It downshifts very reluctantly.

There is no grinding noise when I push on the shifter, trying to engage gears, it just does not go for some time and after shifts smoothly.I'm getting used to it and, on the other hand I'm not a racer,but the speed shifting seems to be very problematic on this car. May be it has something to do with the AWD.

The car is very responsive in terms of handling.

Changing directions is quick and precise.

Braking is not that impressive-the pedal feel is mushy, but braking distance is OK.

All in all I think, that anyone can rely on this car. It's been soundly built, may be not that refined as a Toyota, but it definitely has a personality of its own.

Review Date: 16th March, 2008

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 2.2L from North America

Summary:

Dependable

Wheel bearing needed to be replaced more often than I would have expected. Subaru issues a TSB saying to use a brake dust shield to protect them.

But over 143k miles, very little has gone wrong with the car.

General Comments:

Very reliable and inexpensive car to drive. Not the most luxurious, but it'll always get you there. I bought it brand new, drove it for 9 years and 143k miles, and only sold it because I needed something larger. It was easy to maneuver around town, to avoid an accident, and great in any weather. When I sold it at 143k miles, everything still worked; it only had a few squeaks and rattles.

Go buy a Subaru!!

Review Date: 11th March, 2008

1999 Subaru Impreza Type R v5 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

My blue bomb shell

Gearbox lost 2nd gear at 42,000.

Lots of knocks and rattles, and a new clutch.

General Comments:

I love this car and nothing compares to it; the speed, handling and grip are unbelievable.

Not the best in comfort, but who cares, it puts a smile on my face every time I get in it, and the attention you get in; it's like owning a lambo.

Review Date: 20th January, 2008

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback EJ22 from North America

Summary:

A Dream to Own

1. Oxygen Sensor

2. Knock Sensor

3. CD Player

4. Airbag Sensor

General Comments:

Love this car. It has been so reliable and goes anywhere! The looks are aggressive and the ride is comfortable. However, the seats are a little on the cheap uncomfortable side... but overall okay. The knock sensor was the first thing that needed replacement, but with 190k miles already on it, it was no big deal. Real easy to change. Then the Oxygen sensor needed changing, also no big deal. These vehicles are a dream to work on. The CD player was factory and the lights quit working and then it quit working all together. Overall I would recommend this car to anyone.

Review Date: 19th December, 2007

1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Noise, speed, looks, get one!!!

Heat shields rattled (removed them).

You have to tap the dash clock to get it to work.

Think there's a problem with the wastegate due to not getting full power, but this has only happened a few times (when overtaking aaarggg!)

General Comments:

I originally had a Honda Accord type R, which I loved, but always wanted an Impreza. I looked at the range, and decided to go for a UK Turbo 2000, as this was the cheapest insurance car. I have noticed that most of this model (UK turbo) tended to have less engine rebuilds.

I've got to say that this car is amazing to drive. I not only bought it due to knowing how quick they are, but for the noise of the flat four and turbo spooling up, but I'll tell ya, it's a dream to drive cruising around town or quickly out on the main road, and the looks you get when people hear the rumble, well everyone knows.

There are a few points to bring up though:-

It likes to eat front tyres.

You've to keep on top of the servicing, I do oil change every 3000mls and spark plugs etc every 7,500mls.

The cabin area, although the seats are comfy and supportive, the rest looks like it was taken out of a wheelie bin with no thought to design.

It drinks fuel heavily as you're probably aware, but I have been able to go long distances at around 80 mph and get good economy. Keep it standard and it'll be OK.

Just to say finally; if you are thinking of getting one, just do it and get it out your system (or not in my instance).

Review Date: 29th June, 2007

1st Jul 2007, 05:53

That last comment is fake, it's a rouge BMW driver saying it, its the same comment for the SRI turbo below. Similar things have been said on a few of the 2.0 turbo cars on here.

2nd Jul 2007, 03:09

No way can a 3 litre BMW get away from a scooby.

15th Nov 2007, 03:59

I'm the originator of this thread and still have my scooby, still nothing gone wrong with it. My local shell garage has closed down so won't be able to get V-Power unless I go 35 miles to get some so am probably gona change my car : (It doesn't really need to use shell fuel, but prefer to. My dilemma now is what am I going to get now? Any ideas folks?

1st May 2008, 09:04