1999 Subaru Outback 2.5 from North America

Summary:

Subaru sucks!!! Will not own another

Head gaskets blew at 94000 miles, previous owner had oil pump and water pump replaced at 57,000 miles, and master brake cylinder at 76,000 miles.

General Comments:

I can't believe that this car wouldn't even make it to 100K without major issues. My Nissan pickup has over 150K on it and just ticks along like a faithful clock.

Review Date: 1st May, 2007

1999 Subaru Outback Legacy AWD 2.5 from North America

Summary:

Solid and reliable

At 98k miles, we replaced the left front wheel bearing, left DOJ boot, and valve cover gaskets. We had this car for five years and this was the first semi-major repair bill. The total bill was $2100 which included everything in the 90k mileage service, along with the left front wheel bearing, left DOJ boot, and the valve cover gaskets. The mechanic claimed that replacing the DOJ boot saved the axle because it was leaking grease.

General Comments:

All-in-all we are very happy with this car's quiet, solid ride and good gas mileage. The dog likes the back area. We are flat-landers so the AWD I believe really isn't necessary, living in South New Jersey. We initially were having trouble with the steering on wet roads at high speeds but buying 4 new tires (Michelin's) at around 50k miles fixed that. I have read about others experiencing head gasket troubles, but the mechanic said that as long as we back-flush the radiator and cooling system when changing coolants, we should not have that problem. Knock on wood.

Review Date: 12th March, 2007

1999 Subaru Outback 2.5L DOHC from North America

Summary:

C/C+

Timing chain cover gasket went south at ~60,000 miles, not the end of the world. Replaced the timing chain, too, since they had it all apart. It's leaking again for the last 20,000 miles, not so bad that it's worth another $500.

Left front wheel bearing went out at ~90,000 miles, this was the beginning of the end. $250 at a local shop.

Broken left front axle left me on the side of the road at 8 pm on a Sunday night, $250 at a local shop, but lost a day.

Lost the left front wheel bearing again two weeks ago, in upstate NY in the middle of nowhere, lost three days of a five day vacation. $450 at a Midas shop.

I don't think it's asking too much for a manufacturer to make things like wheel bearings reliable.

General Comments:

In snow, it appears to me to be the best system out there. I've motored straight up a few hills past 4WD pickups and SUVs on the side of the road, it's never let me down.

Has a strong feel on wet roads, too.

Ergonomics are poor. The power window buttons are arranged exactly opposite to how the human hand closest to them is arranged. The door lock/unlock button is out of sight. Cup holders in front of the radio and HVAC buttons are absurd.

Review Date: 16th March, 2006

3rd Nov 2011, 16:59

I laughed when I saw the cup holders in front of the radio and A/C. What were they thinking?

7th Feb 2013, 04:23

Timing chain?

1999 Subaru Outback L 2.5L from North America

Summary:

I love the handling in the snow, and it's about as good as you can look if you must drive a wagon

At 91000 miles the head gasket blew, taking with it the radiator and one piston, along with warping one of the heads. I also have had heat shields come loose on two previous Subarus, causing a loud rattling sound that makes the car sound like a piece of junk.

General Comments:

My problem with this car is that Subaru knows they have had problem with the head gaskets of Outbacks, but when mine blew its head gasket, they told me that mine isn't one of the Outbacks under recall. They sold me a two-year extended warranty when I bought the car with 81000 miles on it, but when I blew the head gasket and tried to get it covered under warranty, they told me, "There's some coverage here." When I questioned what that meant, they said, "That's how those people are." Hey Subaru, you sold me the warranty from, "Those people." They shouldn't peddle their warranties if they don't honor them.

Review Date: 28th August, 2005