1994 Suzuki Swift GL 1.6 from North America

Summary:

2nd toughest engine lineup built by GM after the Chevette/Acadian era

Nothing other than driver's window and door handles, no biggy. There are junkyards full of parts. Cheap fix up.

All automatic 1.0/1.3/1.6 Prizms, Swifts, Metros and Sprints will rev high at 60mph or 100 kmh, about 3500 RPM, which makes it harder on gas.

General Comments:

My 94 Swift is a 1.6 with automatic. I find it has a better launch than my standard 2003 Echo, but burns twice the gas on the highway.

Review Date: 18th March, 2006

1994 Suzuki Swift GS 1.3 from Netherlands

Summary:

A great car to drive cheap, luxurious and long

Dashboard Light switch 200.000 km.

Dampers back-door replaced at 175.000 km.

Door-clamp inside 120.000 Right side 210.00 Left side.

Rust on the back door after 10 years (rest of the car is almost rust free)

General Comments:

Very reliable

Fast (enough)

Cheap in repairs and petrol (avg. 6 Liters/100 km)

Service check over 200 EU is exceptional. (Unlike my Saab 900 where 400 EU was the average)

Tires replacement per 60.000 km (front) and 80.000 km (back)

Review Date: 22nd August, 2005

1994 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 1.6 16v from North America

Summary:

Its great in consumption!!!

Well when I bought the car, after a month I had to change the right tire ball bearings.

Two months after at 215000 I replaced the clutch plate, and that's it. Nothing else has since then gone wrong with the car.

Although I often do the general maintenance like changing oil, plugs, filter and stuff like that.

General Comments:

This is 1994 16 Valve Suzuki Swift 1.6 Litre GLX, a very rare car!!! It is almost impossible to find parts for this car unless you call up your local Suzuki dealer and they order for you from Japan or something. Most of the Swifts are 1.3 litre, but this is a 1.6 L and with standard transmission.

I am getting rid of this car because I don't want to take risks at its being at 262000 kms already on it. Though it is running perfectly fine till now.

If any one is interested here in Toronto or Around please let me know before 30th March 2005, because I am trading it in, I can sell it for as little as 700 bucks.

Mail me at fahd.shah@gmail.com.

Review Date: 27th March, 2005

28th Mar 2005, 14:36

Man, I'd buy that from you in a heart beat if I didn't have to get it across the border! I just got a Suzuki X-90, and I love Suzuki's. That little swift can last far past 262,000km's. It's a SUZUKI! It can last forever if you keep the body in good shape!I think you should keep it, maybe as a back up car or something. I don't know, but the only reason to get rid of a Suzuki, is to get a newer, nicer looking SUZUKI!!

30th Mar 2005, 11:22

X-90?

Perhaps the most comical looking car made in the last 30 years?

1994 Suzuki Swift 1.0L from North America

Summary:

A decent vehicle for little money

So far nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

The car is great on gas, less than 6L/100km, it also handles well in urban areas. Best choice for a messenger/delivery driver.

Acceleration is decent for a 3 cylinder car.

It is reasonably spacious inside, specially for those sitting in the front. The vehicle is of very simple design and construction, which in case of problems would make it easy to fix.

Unfortunatelly it does not have power steering, making it hard on the driver when trying to park.

Review Date: 25th October, 2004

26th Oct 2004, 18:16

Swifts didn't have 3 cylinders, they all had a 1.3 liter 4 banger. Either someone swapped a 3 cylinder in, and I don't know why anyone would do that, or you're really driving a Geo Metro/Sprint/Firefly/Forsa.

7th Nov 2004, 22:58

Actually...yes, there are Suzuki Swifts in 3 cylinders; their engine capacity is 1L (or 980cc). This is a Canadian model and may not be available somewhere else. It is a 2dr. hatchback and no options, not even power steering. I believe this is the base model.

1994 Suzuki Swift 3 door 1.3 from North America

Summary:

Practical car with excellent endurance

Alternator replaced 120,000-caused main fuse to open as well.

Several distributor caps have been replaced due to aluminum contact burnout. These might last 40,000 or so. The engine runs much better after an old one is replaced.

No major mechanical problems, other than usual wear items. Some body damage from an ice storm and mishaps, but not manufacturer related.

General Comments:

This is an excellent car as far as reliability, fuel economy, and ability to absorb punishment.

The oil is changed every 3,000-4,000 miles without fail.

It is fun to drive although it's a little tiring on long trips. It is somewhat noisy inside esp at 65mph.

On the plus side it handles very well, is easy to put in tight spots, and great in urban settings.

I have found that despite the fact it's a little low on creature comforts, it's a car of great economy and fun to drive.

This car's history:

Used for trips between cities average 100 miles/day for 2 years.

Ice storm froze entire body, forced off window trim and bent transport levers trying to roll down.

Hood was not latched after a jump start and hood flew open at 55mph, breaking off 1 hinge and damaging hood and wipers.

Car stolen in 2001. Thieves lived in it for 3 days, drove about 300mi and used as a getaway car in at least 1 shoplifting scheme by same. Taken off road (weeds still dragging when recovered) and right wheel bent and tire damaged. Recovered 3 days later with a lot of mud, but none the worse for wear.

Windshield cracked during another ice event by ice scraper.

The paint has held up very well and other than a few dents in the hood, all damage has been fixed. It looks and runs good!

Well pleased with this car!

It is simple, low cost per mile, and hard to destroy.

Review Date: 8th January, 2004

30th Aug 2004, 02:36

I have never bought a car like this kind, now that I bought one I don't see why I didn't get one sooner. I have a 1994 swift, I have had no problem what so ever out of it. I have owned it for almost a year an a half. I had to replace a couple of parts in the engine, but that was from the age of the parts, nothing to do with the makers. I wish that the one I have had power steering, but what can you do. I would buy another car like this if I could, I really do like these cute little thing. Plus they are really good on gas as gas prices keep going up.

14th May 2006, 03:03

I have a swift 1991, and I'm very satisfied with it. Low gas consumption etc... I changed front right wheel bearing after 120.000 km. and... nothing else. My wife likes it too 'cause it is very handy to drive and park.