1987 Toyota 4Runner Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Model year1987
First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 22RE Manual
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Awesome and tough!

The radiator sprang a leak at 230,000 miles and I (stupidly) kept driving it until I could reach a phone. It blew the head gasket and cracked the head. It was my own fault for not stopping.

General Comments:

Excellent handling and traction.

I'm small and the seats fit me perfectly.

This has been one MIGHTY truck for 13 yrs. I love this truck. It never lets me down and never gives up. The one problem I had with it (cracked head) was my own fault. This has been by far THE most dependable vehicle I've ever owned or known of. I would buy another 87' 4Runner in a heartbeat if only I could find one. It seems they have loyal owners who don't want to part with them any more than I'd part with mine.

Review Date: 28th March, 2007

1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2.4 EFi from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1987
Engine and transmission 2.4 EFi Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Express

Summary:

You should definitely buy one of these

My oxygen sensor has just started to play up after 264000 kilometers.

General Comments:

This car is the best 4x4 I have ever driven (having driven Suzuki Sierras, Toyota Land-cruisers and a couple of Nissan Patrols)

The car is very, very impressive on and off the road, but it feels much more at home when off road.

I have had this car airborne 4 or 5 times now (on trips to the sand dunes) and it still lives after much abuse - however now I am trying to cut back a bit.

The only thing I have done to the car is putting on a set of 32" BF Goodrich All Terrain tires - the car goes anywhere.

Review Date: 31st October, 2004

1987 Toyota 4Runner 2.4L from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.4L Manual
Previous carIHC 1210 Flatbed

Summary:

This is the ultimate truck

Synchronizers went out in gears 1&3 making it tricky to drive. This is most likely due to abusive driving from previous owner.

Radiator leaked at 280,000 miles.

Lower ball joint messed up by a service technician who wanted to overcharge me with repairs. This was at a local tire shop.

Some wear on the front seats.

Rear windshield defroster does not work.

General Comments:

This vehicle has plenty of power, and does great on the highway. With the appropriate tires, it makes for a great travel vehicle.

My suspension is lower with wide tires, which takes away the top-heavy feel when driving. It drives like a truck, but is very comfortable.

It has never left me stranded, and I have driven it from Chattanooga, TN to Mississippi, and to Virginia with no problems, even after the transmission problems (synchronizers) began.

Toyota builds great air conditioners, as mine works very well, as well as every Toyota anyone in my family has ever owned.

This truck makes Chevy "rocks" seem like dirt clods. It is extremely tough, and does great in mud (it is a relatively light vehicle, so it rides on top).

The truck has no trouble handling, and will go as fast as you need to go (except while accelerating on large, steep hills).

If taken care of, they will look good, too, for many years. People can't believe my truck is 15 years old.

I am sold on Toyota trucks!

It holds it value very well. I will be able to sell it in a few years, but I probably won't.

I have no complaints, and no regrets.

Review Date: 26th April, 2002

30th Mar 2007, 23:12

You stated your Runner is 15 years old. I have recently purchased a 20 yr old 2.4 diesel that has done 310, 000 Kms with aftermarket ARB turbo. It is serving me very well apart from a pesky Nissan Patrol that was looking in the other direction when I stopped last week. No fault of the trusty Runner though-new tailgate and bumper and you can't tell the difference :)

1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2.4L(144.4CI) 22RE from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 2.4L(144.4CI) 22RE Manual
Previous carFord F350

Summary:

A true sleeper

Exhaust fell off while off-roading.

General Comments:

For a little 4 cylinder this thing can fly, had it up to 110 (on the speedometer, probably faster, on a legal track) with no noises, shaking etc.

CAN'T GET STUCK!!!

Amazing how this thing can smoke its tires for 3 blocks (on private road).

Review Date: 24th May, 2001

2nd Jul 2001, 17:31

I can almost understand the 110mph but no way does it smoke any tires (bald etc) for three blocks.

11th May 2004, 00:23

I own a 87 4Runner, it runs good and it always starts, But there is no possible way that it will ever burn tires for three blocks. I can burn out around corners and when I am really trying.

I can get up and going pretty fast if I am going down hill only, other than that it is pretty slow. I have only topped out at 105 and that was down hill. it's a good little truck and all of the fixtures still work.

1st Nov 2009, 23:18

I bought new rotors and breaks for mine, but can't get the old one off. Does anyone know how?

2nd Nov 2009, 17:46

It's probably just seized on there with a little bit of rust. If you've got a new rotor to put on there, then it doesn't matter if you break the old one. Give it a good whack with a mallet or hit it with a blow torch. Just be careful you don't give it too much heat, you don't wanna fry the wheel bearing.