1988 Toyota 4Runner Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.0 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1993
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

A good quality, reliable truck

When I bought the vehicle the head gaskets, timing belt and water pump had just been changed and so was the clutch. The starter and alternator have since been changed. The transmission had to be rebuilt due to street racing against a done up Honda Civic. I decided to do the clutch at the same time even though it was still decent. The vehicle has had major body work which included a color change. I have replaced the clutch master cylinder a couple of times. Everything else has been regular maintenance.

General Comments:

This vehicle has been extremely reliable, I have never been left stranded, yet. The truck has gone on a thirty-six hour drive from just north of the U.S. Canada border to the U.S. Mexico border, stopping only for gas. The driver seat is worn and becoming uncomfortable. It still drives like new. I`m currently looking for a newer one for my wife.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2003

1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2.2RE from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2RE Manual
Most recent distance190000 miles
Previous carCadillac Seville

Summary:

Best vehicle I have ever owned, never left me stranded!

My driver's side seat is starting to show a little wear from years of use.

I have replaced the starter, alternator, and rear brakes due to wear and tear associated with the high mileage.

Routine maintenance has kept this car running in-spite of all my efforts to kill it.

General Comments:

This thing is indestructible. I have driven this truck with only three out of four cylinders and no oil. I got home, added the oil, and replaced the missing spark plug and she was right back to normal.

I have driven through mud puddles that would make bigger trucks run and hide in fear without even a sputter from the engine. Last week I went through a puddle so deep that the engine filled with water. I pulled it out of the hole it was in and drained the water. After a couple of minutes she was back on the road taking me home.

There is a lack of power with a 4 cylinder engine and 31 inch tires, and the braking could use some help. This is all to be expected with the over-sized tires.

Finally, like all Toyota's of its time, when it rains the engine losses almost all desire to pull.

Review Date: 20th October, 2003

1988 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.0 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Most recent distance191000 miles
Previous carToyota Truck

Summary:

Fun and reliable

New timing belt, wheel bearings, manual hubs, clutch, distributor, water-pump, rotors, valve cover gaskets, accessory belts, sun-roof (hail damage), muffler, shocks, brakes, oxygen sensor, and fuel filter.

All this for a grand total of $3500 in parts and labor. Add that to the original cost of the car when I bought it and you have $9400.

General Comments:

I like the fact that I can take the removable cover top off. It's more reliable than a Jeep. This machine handles very well on the beach in 4x4!

Review Date: 1st May, 2001