1990 Toyota 4Runner Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4 x 4 3.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0L Automatic
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Solid as a rock

I have had to replace the head gasket at about 200,000 miles and one cylinder needed to be repaired, I think it was that way when I bought it.

Muffler has a hole in it, but it sounds cool so I have not fixed that yet. Needed new boots over CV joints.

Transmission is very smooth, but it helps to warm the car up for 5 min. on a cold morning, it will shift smoothly fromn the start, otherwise it needs a few minutes to warm up before it shifts smooth.

Sometimes the starter is dead and nothing happens when I turn on the key. I just let it stay in the on position a minute and it will eventually try to start, then I click the key a few times and bang, it starts. I assume this is due to worn electrical connections in the starter, and when the wires get warm the conductivity improves and it starts, so I may need a starter repair job soon.

General Comments:

Runs great. Four wheel drive works perfectly, great in the snow and mud. I want a new car, but this thing just keeps running! I change the oil every 3-4000 miles. I have larger tires on it, so I try not to drive over 65MPH, but it moves out on the highway just fine.

Review Date: 4th January, 2007

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.0 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Manual
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

The most reliable car ever made, incredible 4x4

Wheel bearings after 150,000 miles, starter, alternator after 230,000, and belts after 230,000.

All work done myself, no problem, and I'm no mechanic.

Driver's seat was worn through when I bought it.

General Comments:

THE MOST RELIABLE CAR MANUFACTURER EVER!

I bought this car when I was 17. I'm 23 now, and it's still running like a charm. Has never let me down, from going balls out on the freeway, to offroading like a champ, to hauling my stuff in a huge u-haul cross states.

I have also owned a 1995 Toyota Celica, and I loved it too.

My first car was a Jeep; what a piece of crap. NEVER buy domestic, and look out for German cars, they are crap too.

If you really want a car that will last forever just get a Toyota or a Honda/Acura. No other way really, unless you want to spend a lot of money fixing things.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2006

4th Dec 2006, 13:52

I agree with the older vehicle comments... My Hondas pre2000 were great... especially my new Legend, However the newer ones especially Hondas luxury model Acura have had transmissions woes. I know that is also the case with certain Lexus as well. I have since switched to new domestics better warranties as well...

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2.4 litre from North America

Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership1991
Engine and transmission 2.4 litre Manual
Previous carFord Econoline

Summary:

Got my monies worth and still am

The left front brake cylinder seized at about 150000 km then the right one went a little after.

The back window started giving grief at about 300000 km. Got a new motor for it finally at 475000 km when it finally died.

Do my one oil changes every 5000 km.

That's pretty much it.

I have only taken it to the dealer once for the recall they had for the steering linkage.

Still running the original motor. Not rebuilt.Still gets 575 km on a tank of gas (Highway).

Every thing else is original. (drive train,etc.)

Starting to burn a little oil when doing city driving.

General Comments:

It has always lacked power due to the 4 cylinder engine, but it gets me there and keeps going.

Review Date: 27th August, 2006

1990 Toyota 4Runner from North America

Engine and transmission Manual

Summary:

Amazing

Nothing.

General Comments:

I bought the 4 runner a month ago and so far I love it.

I call it my "little mud duck" because every time I go out with it, I come home. It loves the mud, has gone 4 wheeling a couple of times, and I am surprised at how well it performs.

Time will tell.

I will keep you updated.

Review Date: 24th April, 2006