2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD 4.7 V8 from North America

Wanted 4Runner for years, finally a V8

Tech forgot to plug wire in during maintenance causing 4WD Low/High range selector not to work. Easy fix for "qualified tech" at another dealership.

Hitch receiver wouldn't accept hitch that came with vehicle. Toyota apologized and replaced it immediately with one that fit.

Brakes could be better.

General Comments:

The vehicle performs flawlessly which I expect will continue long after the warranty expires. Gripes are minor. Exhaust smell upon mild to heavy acceleration is annoying. I followed my wife once and it stunk like rotten eggs every time she gave it gas. We both smoke cigarettes and find this vehicle to be smoker unfriendly. Wind always comes in window when open a small amount instead of going out (even with vent shades installed). If you're going to hit the gas, window better be closed as bad smell comes in drivers window making it stink inside vehicle.

Review Date: 20th August, 2003

11th Feb 2004, 12:12

The 2003 4Runner does have a rotten egg smell when hitting the gas. As I have found in a recent report for consumers and through a dealer, using Amoco Ultimate gas helps eliminate the sulfer smell. Other than using Amoco Ultimate, try using any gas that is low in sulfer and your 4Runner will be the perfect SUV.

17th Nov 2005, 21:10

It may be that the federally mandated gas formulation in certain areas of the country is high in sulfur. I have read many posts that complained of the odor, and most of them seem to be in the East or Southwest. Here in the mountain West, I have never smelled it in my 4runner or anyone other. It would be interesting to take a survey and find out.

2nd Aug 2006, 19:20

If you smell a rotten egg smell, it is most likely a bad catalytic converter? The type of gas you use has nothing to do with it.

13th Jun 2007, 13:17

The smell comes from the catlytic converter unique to some manufacturers. The smell is a byproduct of the cat. Plain and simple.

8th Sep 2009, 16:44

We have the rotten egg smell sometimes too, 2003 with the V8 and we live in the SW. Other than that I have no complaints, the quality of this vehicle is 2nd to none.