2003 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 4.7 V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired200000 kilometres
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Very capable, and a true off roader

The 4Runner V8 is an excellent capable off roader, as well as a comfortable daily commuter provided that you are prepared for the gas costs for the V8. Fuel efficiency wise, the V8 is good on gas when compared to other V8s in the market. The V8 4Runner is also an AWD vehicle that can also be made a 4x4, through engaging the Central Differential Lock via a switch.

The huge problem with this generation of 4Runners is the acute and extreme rusting (build up of rust) at the top along and under the rear window's rubber seal. This rust completely eats away the metal, and is considered to be there as a result of a design flaw.

General Comments:

Overall the 4Runner is one of the best SUVs.

Review Date: 10th December, 2013

11th Dec 2013, 13:38

I suggest you have a look underneath at the frame. You might find a far worse rust problem.

14th Dec 2013, 08:32

There are no rust issues with the 4Runner frames, the frames are better than the frames of North American vehicle manufacturers in strength and durability. You might see rusty frames just because a 4Runner is still on the road and going strong, whereas other vehicles have ended up in the junkyard and are no longer on the road.

The rust issue is concentrated only under the rubber seal of rear window, due to a flawed design.

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4.0L from North America

Model year2003
Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic
Distance when acquired72000 kilometres
Most recent distance92000 kilometres
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Flawless

Nothing.

General Comments:

Great SUV.

I find it really quick for such a big vehicle. I drive it roughly, and I'm not always on time with the maintenance, but it never let me down. Great 4x4-off road car.

My family drives domestics and they all told me to get an American car. However, it turned out that I had to give them rides to work (when their cars were in the shop) in my Camry, which was older than their cars.

I love Toyota, and I will only buy that car.

Review Date: 30th June, 2008

12th Nov 2010, 13:50

Your Toyota was made in America by American hands. Your families American cars were made in Mexico. Thank you for helping employ 1000's of American and bringing business to American, and not exporting our American products.

9th Jan 2011, 18:59

Actually it was made in Japan... American Toyota plants are not as good as Japanese ones. I don't really care who and where it's made, as long as it is safe and reliable. American cars are crap, and always will be crap, no matter what people say!

16th Dec 2013, 17:00

I love our 2014 C7 Corvette, Made in America.

Tremendous engineering, design, performance, and our last 2 were also bulletproof.

I also like the new Cadillacs. Doesn't matter who turns the wrench actually. It's where the corporation is located that gets the big profits on each car sold. After a plant gets lots of concessions and tax incentives, they can always pull out.

19th Dec 2013, 21:32

I agree that recent G.M. engineering and design has been stellar. Corvette and Cadillac offer the best performance for their price range in the world.

21st Dec 2013, 10:01

Our effort may be minimal, but we drive American made cars made in the USA. Corporate is based here, so the big profits remain here. I have been downsized twice. Hope that doesn't happen to you. My education bailed me out. But at my age, if it happens again, it will likely pull me out of the workplace. 20 or 30 years from now, maybe my advice won't be brushed off so lightly or forgotten.

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

Worth every cent of the price

I have not had any issues with this vehicle to date.

General Comments:

I love this vehicle.

We get as high as 27 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg in the city.

This vehicle is much roomier than previous years.

There are a few things I don't like. The first being the exterior temperature reading only goes down to -22 F. In the northern climate, where I am located, the temperature drops to in the -40's. Knowing the temperature is critical.

Along the same lines, I am unable to adjust the temperature of the defrost function. Six months out of the year I must travel with the defrost on to keep the windshield clear. When the temperature control is on automatic it does not go into the defrost mode. When in defrost the temperature is too hot. I must continually play with the temperature/heat settings to keep the windshield clear and not roast out of my vehicle. I am not sure if this is a problem in all 4 runners or unique to mine.

Review Date: 7th August, 2004

24th Sep 2010, 13:31

There are 2 gallon units, US Gallon and IMP Gallon, the imp is bigger, therefore more mpg.