2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

The best SUV/Truck ever!

Nothing.

- The only thing that went wrong with the car was one of the technicians at the dealership messed around with the brakes, so they kept on sticking. After we figured out what was wrong, Toyota paid for all the necessary repairs. This was the technician's fault, not the car!!

General Comments:

It's a great truck. It's been abused, towing, offroading, road trips; this car has held up to everything.

The V6 sport is a great model, it's great on gas (compared to the displacement and power) it can also run in 2wd (to save gas), 4wd and 4lo. The car is very comfortable and the Xreas suspension allows the car to handle very well.

The only disadvantage is the price, but it is well worth it! Buy a used one if you can't afford new!

Review Date: 18th October, 2009

11th Feb 2013, 21:43

From 2004 to 2012, or after 8 years, and as a second owner, suspension needed total replacement: struts and shocks (2000$). Useless because sagging coils ruined the shocks thanks to lost suspension travel. Dashboard rattles. Toyota was unable to fix.

Conclusion: Boring to drive. Overrated reputation. Oversized tires and weak diff ratio, prone to breaking.

2004 Toyota 4Runner from North America

Summary:

Probably wouldn't purchase another one

I am the original owner and have maintained my vehicle per the manufacturer schedule. My "VSC TRAC" light came on and per the manual, I took my vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The testing cost $75.00 and revealed that the "deceleration sensor" was bad and needed replacing. The part alone cost almost $900.00. With parts and 2.5 hours of labor the total cost is just shy of $1200.00. As I have just over 55,000 and no extended warranty, it is not covered under the basic warranty. I am very disappointed. Has anyone else had similar experience. I am told by the service representative that this part controls many functions and that is the reason for the cost.

General Comments:

I liked my 4 runner until this happened.

Review Date: 9th August, 2006

10th Aug 2006, 08:35

I've heard of a deceleration sensor.

10th Aug 2006, 13:06

Does this sensor control your momentum, going down hill for example, in slippery conditions? I think what I am asking is if this sensor allows for engine type braking, so you do not coast and gain speed down hills in slippery conditions.

2004 Toyota 4Runner from North America

Summary:

Excellent family car

None.

General Comments:

Really well built. Finish and build quality first-rate. This car has been abused by us with two small kids for two years and shows almost no signs of wear.

Great roomy cabin for longer journeys; firm, but comfortable ride; good high ride position, kids get great view!

4WD is awesome; I work on the side of a steep icy hill in winter and the car gets up and down with no problems. Engine is low revving, fuel economy not as bad as I was expecting for 4L engine.

Storage space ample - can get 2 strollers plus luggage into back, or two bikes, strollers and shopping.

This is the best car I ever owned; there is nothing I would change and I will certainly go with Toyota for my next car.

Review Date: 30th July, 2006

7th May 2007, 19:59

I love my 4Runner due to its durability and its performance. It is perfect for driving at any condition, may it be city driving or all-terrain condition. Plus, this vehicle is perfect for my family. I can bring them to school or camp with only one vehicle. My friends usually have 2 vehicles in order to camp out, and sometimes they try to borrow my car. Not only that, I can say that it is a vehicle worth of buying because of its vast number of resources. These resources or repair parts can be bought anywhere, like for example in the dealer, shop, or online.

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 from North America

Summary:

The best truck/SUV I have ever driven

I've had no problems, with the vehicle, during the first 1500 km of use.

General Comments:

I purchased this vehicle for my weekend adventure trips, which means driving on bad roads and highways. It has surpassed my expectations, and is really fun to drive in poor conditions.

I chose the V8 option, for the full-time 4WD. It easily handled a foot of fresh snow on top of ice over a 40 mile stretch without any problems.

The electronic stability assistance does an excellent job of helping to keep the vehicle pointed straight while on icy roads.

The gas mileage has been lower than I expected, earning only 18 MPG combined city/highway.

The climate control functions are clumsy, and a bit difficult to operate without staring at them while driving.

There are no warning bells if you leave the headlights on and exit the vehicle. This has been a standard feature on most vehicles for 15+ years, so I'm surprised it's not on this vehicle.

Review Date: 1st November, 2004

25th Aug 2005, 10:07

I am getting a 2004 or 2005. You are the 2nd person mentioning the lights on warning bell. Is it possible that this model now has the auto-off light feature, hence no need for the alarm? Can't believe Toyota would leave that off, even my 1997 4Runner has it.

23rd Jan 2006, 20:48

I work for Toyota. Any Toyota equipped with an "Auto" feature on its lights will turn off the headlights with a delayed timer when set in "auto" mode. If you have the light switch in the regular on mode, they will turn off as soon as the driver's door is opened. No need for the "on" chime on these models. If the vehicle doesn't have an "auto" mode, then they are equipped with a warning chime.