1997 Toyota Avalon LXS V6 from North America

Summary:

Didn't realize the front end noise problems until I stumbled upon this site

"Clunking" sounds from the front of the car.

General Comments:

Comfortable, but noisy ride. Car is now in the shop having front strut mounts (including bearings, bushings, and plates) replaced at a cost of $585. After reading all comments on this site, I am wondering if I have made a $585 mistake.

Review Date: 6th February, 2007

11th Feb 2007, 15:35

You very well may have. I would call Toyota Motor America in Torrance CA and request financial assistance. Apparently there is a design flaw in the top of the strut tower (from all of the comments I have read). Every Toyota technician I have consulted with during dealer visits, as well as aftermarket repair shops can't seem to properly diagnose the problem. I have lived with this "clunk" noise issue on the front end of my 97 Avalon for 10 years. Toyota is very hesitant to fess up to this one. Not surprised though.

18th Jun 2009, 20:24

I put 183,000 on my Avalon, just lived with the "clunk noise" as normal. It never hurt my tire wear, got 80k on my last set of Michelins. Considering you can now buy a used Avalon of this year for Corolla money; the "clunk" may be considered a feature!

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS V6 from North America

Summary:

A great car for anyone!

So far I haven't had any major problems with the car. It has been very reliable.

The only thing that I have noticed is when the air conditioner is on high it vibrates a little.

Also the car has wood grain around the stereo etc. and the plastic over the wood has begun to peel off of the wood.

General Comments:

For the most part I love my car. It is still in great condition and it runs like a new car.

If you take care of your Toyota it tends to last quite a long period of time.

The car is fair on gas, and handles well in any weather condition.

Review Date: 27th July, 2004

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 liter from North America

Summary:

Best value in the Toyota/Lexus lineup

Front and rear struts failed at 68,000 miles.

Front strut mounts were bad at time of purchase 65,000 miles.

Steering rack leaking since 65,000 miles

Power window controller.

Front rotors warped.

General Comments:

Good performance considering the excellent fuel economy.

Solid ride belies the small size of the car.

Original equipment tire compound was entirely too soft - 30,000 mile lifespan.

Review Date: 9th March, 2004

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

This is a comfortable and reliable luxury car

Rack and pinion steering disintegrated, and a fix with re-conditioned parts will be $1100.

General Comments:

This is a very reliable car.

The six cylinder engine provides smooth acceleration with little or no jerking.

The back seat area is comfortably roomy and can seat people over six feet with plenty of space for head and legs.

Review Date: 17th February, 2004

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 2.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Good luxury car for the used price

Leaking coolant from the engine block drain plug. Repaired personally at no cost.

Faulty strut mounts, as Toyota acknowledged via a technical bulletin. Had both front mounts replaced to stop a constant rattling noise.

Have begun to hear a similar rattling noise from the rear; possibly the rear mounts. Has anyone else had to replace the rear strut mounts?

Both heated seats do not work, although the lights in the switches go on. Has anyone else had this problem?

General Comments:

Very comfortable and quiet car.

Average performance and economy.

Very soft body panels. Easily gets door dings.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2004

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

A Lexus through and through, at a domestic car price

Nothing thus far.

General Comments:

I work at a Toyota dealership, and this car was traded in in May 03. The customer, an older lady, bought it new from us in 97 (before I worked there).

She traded it in for a new Avalon XLS.

The owner of the dealership drove the car since we got it, through the entire Summer... mind you, this fact speaks volumes, as he is very particular, and can drive any car he wants, including a new Avalon. So, when he decided that we could sell it in mid October, I drove it home and my wife absolutely fell in love with it. Having been driving our Infiniti G-20 since we bought new in 94, she was ecstatic with the power of the V-6. (the G-20, while adept during the first years of ownership, was getting pretty tired...) So, with 106k miles on it, we picked up this one owner, dealer maintained Avalon for a mere $6000. Oh, the benefits of working at a dealership!! Incidentally, the previous owner was a single lady, so the driver's seat was the only one with any significant wear... the passenger seat had minimal wear, and the rear seats... I kid you not, looked like they had rarely been sat in, if at all. My neighbor, two doors down, recently purchased a 2000 Lexus ES300 for $26000...now, I understand that it IS a Lexus, and is newer and so forth, but, she was completely beside herself with our Avalon. We are absolutely satisfied with this purchase. :)

Review Date: 15th November, 2003