1997 Toyota Avalon LX 3.0L from North America

The Avalon is a very well designed, reliable car that I highly recommend!

I purchased this car from my friend's father who had was not maintaining the car as he should. When I bought it, the timing belt was past due, the power steering pump was going bad, the rack and pinion was leaking, the rear struts were rattling and the check engine light was on for a transmission sensor. It had 183,000 miles on it and I paid $500 for it.

General Comments:

After purchasing the car, I replaced the power steering pump, timing belt and rear struts. I bought a new rack and pinion, but have yet to install it as the leak is very minimal. After two years, the car now has 215,000 miles. The only thing that has gone wrong since I purchased it was the catalytic converter. It cost around $200 on eBay and I replaced it myself.

It is comfortable and roomy inside - I can't believe how much leg room there is in the back seat! The car is very solidly built. I don't particularly like leather seats, but I'm impressed with how well Toyota's seats have fared in comparison to those in my 2001 Volvo V70.

From North Carolina, we've driven to Nebraska, West Virginia and multiple times to Georgia. I average about 28 MPG on the highway, which is better than my Volvo V70 and Ford Contour, both of which get about 24 MPG on the highway.

I wouldn't hesitate to get in and drive to New York or California tonight!

I wish all my cars were as reliable and dependable as my Avalon, but unfortunately it's the only Toyota I own at the moment.

I'm not sure why this is, but I've only seen one other 1997 Avalon besides mine that has the split bench seat in front. Nearly all other Avalons have the gearshift on the floor between the seats. My car has the gearshift on the steering column, so I can fit three people in the front if need be.

Review Date: 7th February, 2018

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 3.0 gas from North America

Very comfortable, reliable car

Right front CV axle.

Exhaust flex pipe.

Torque converter doesn't always lock up.

Valve covers leak some, but does not use oil between changes.

Typical suspension strut rattle.

General Comments:

Got this car cheap for a work car and it has exceeded expectations. It does have the strut rattle almost everyone else talks about, but it doesn't affect how it drives. One of the smoothest, nicest driving cars I have ever owned.

I do maintain it, and expect to get many more miles out of it. Have ended up driving this car on some long road trips, and it has been very reliable.

Review Date: 28th July, 2014

1997 Toyota Avalon from North America

Good experience except for the unfixable front end rattle and uncomfortable front bucket seats

Front end suspension rattle at slow speeds, that is accentuated when cold.

General Comments:

The info from this forum has greatly helped me understand the probable cause (s) of the front end suspension related rattle. The dealership said it was an improperly positioned spring when the car was almost new. They did something that solved the problem temporarily, but it came back and is now so loud I hate to drive it. Will probably drive it until it dies, without trying to repair it, based on the previous forum inputs.

The bucket seats are very uncomfortable, however thick foam seat pads alleviate the problem.

Review Date: 6th May, 2009

1997 Toyota Avalon XLE from North America

My steering rack went at 138,000 miles; lesson learned is to monitor and change out the steering fluid at least every 60K. This is the only major item that went unexpectedly on the car at a cost of $1000.

I have a rattling noise in the front and rear of the car pretty much since about 30K, so my next move is to have the rear and front struts replaced. The mounts are probably loose since I have read this is a problem as well. My mechanic gave me a $1,200 quote for replacement of the front and rear struts if he supplies the parts; he suggested that I go buy the parts off the net, which would save me $500, so I can get the job done for $700-800.

Very satisfied with the car overall; all you need to do is follow the regular maintenance intervals, change your timing belt every 90K, and Platinum plugs every 90K. I would change the fuel filter every 60K (I just had mine done, had not had it changed in 110K miles, and there was a bunch of sludge). I would also tell people to flush your transmission every 60K, and your radiator every 60K.

I went 110K miles since my last timing belt change and there was very little wear on the back side of the belt, the teeth were fine, and the water pump looked solid to the mechanic, but I change out the pump with the belt.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2008

17th Aug 2008, 11:56

In 1997 Toyota had a lifetime warranty on the struts. If you pay the labor then Toyota should cover the part. It's not in the regular parts warranty section. I found the note after I paid to have them replaced. 1997 Avalon 121,000. Good luck.

13th Mar 2009, 11:03

The so called 'life time warranty' was for the first 36,000 miles. I know because I had to have all four replaced after 70,000 miles and the dealer charged me full price. I then got my hands on a Toyota service bulletin and found out Toyota would pay for labor and parts if mileage was 36,000 or less. I still love the car even though it now has 295,000 miles on it. Have only replaced starter (easy joy) and fuel pump. It now needs to have the intake manifold gasket replaced and a new timing belt. Looking for a reasonably price auto shop to do job. Dealer is outrageous on price. Any suggestions?