2003 Toyota Avensis Executive 2.0 petrol from Netherlands

Summary:

Great quality experience without the costs!

Front brakes squeal on low pedal pressure.

Radial grooves in right rear disk brake.

General Comments:

This car is a dream compared to the previous one.

Except for tire noise; oh well, 17" rims with 215-45 tires aren't quiet!

The handling is much better. Much tighter in corners! Although steering input could be better. The previous model tended to float due to the lose suspension design.

Comfort wise it's quieter then the old one (except for tire noise). It will hit the bumps without any rattles or squeaks. The old one could rattle sometimes.

Interior is a dream. Nice leather (electric) seats and great quality finish! Good sound system standard.

The way the door close is truly amazing. Like a vault, but it doesn't take any effort! They fall shut very quietly from a 5cm opening! Try that with any other car. Precision is the magic word here.

This car will definitely not disappoint!

Review Date: 23rd May, 2004

2003 Toyota Avensis T Spirit 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good on looks, lacking in performance

Nothing has gone wrong yet.

General Comments:

Stepping down from an Audi A4 Avant was always going to be a 'big step'. This is our first Toyota and the initial appearance is impressive. Comfortable leather seats, spacious interior and more gadgets than you can shake a stick at.

Performance is adequate, but much worse compared to the Audi, on both fuel consumption and acceleration. Looking past the gorgeous leather seats, the equipment looks a little 'cheap' and the satellite navigation is rather a let-down.

Review Date: 8th January, 2004

2003 Toyota Avensis Spirit 2.0 eefi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The Glamor model, you allways wanted to take home to mother!

Nothing.

General Comments:

Having never owned or even driven a Toyota prior to this Avensis, I wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about?

After opening the door to get in, it all came clear to me, if it ain't in the dashboard, then it ain't been invented!

The array of gadgets left me drooling, so much, I had to watch that I didn't shut the door on my tongue!

The all round build quality of the car is top notch, not sure where the Sprirt fits into the range though?

Satellite navigation is excellent and the climate control, is far superior to anything fitted to a Vauxhall or Ford fleet car.

Only fault's I could find were, a slight lag when trying to overtake. The marriage between the 2.0ltr engine and the Automatic gearbox seems a bit fraught! And, after driving my new Vectra, I felt the ride was a little on the noisy side, when on the Motorway.

Review Date: 12th December, 2003

3rd Oct 2004, 03:17

We had a Toyota Carina for 14 years which is still in perfect condition and drives like a dream. Sadly we gave it to our Son and bought a Toyota T Spirit. WOW! We are over the moon and thrilled that we stayed with Toyota and bought this car. It is a dream on wheels in it's price range. In fact, one would expect to pay more for all the gadgets this car has. It is excellent on the motorway and we find it silent and smooth, sheer comfort. Even the back passengers have every comfort and plenty of room to lounge in. As for Sat Navigation, how did we ever do without it? It has directed us to places we have never been to before perfectly - no more maps! Top marks to Toyota for producing this great car at a reasonable price.

12th Jul 2005, 15:12

Are you saying that this car looks good?

5th Jan 2007, 11:23

The T-Spirit is the top of the range for specification although it can be had with a couple of different engine choices.

2003 Toyota Avensis SOL Estate 2.0 D4D (turbo diesel) from Norway

Summary:

A comfortable, safe and reliable car, buy one and you will not regret it

I have experienced no problems whatsoever with this car.

General Comments:

Having owned a Carina E for 3years previously and had nearly 50,000 trouble free kilometers I decided not to change a winning formula so I bought the new Avensis, the main reason for going for Avensis was safety and reliability.

I'm really impressed and happy with this car. The road holding, ride comfort and quietness is very impressive compared to the Carina E and the first Avensis model.

The diesel engine has been a blessing since day one, I drove the car on a long trip (1050 km) with a kayak on the roof- it used only 4,7 liter pr 100 km. I have also pulled a camping trailer on a shorter trip (100 km) where the car used only 8,5 liter pr 100 km- and the engine gave me all the power I needed. So far the engine has impressed my greatly.

The driving skills have also been more than great for Norwegian roads; the car has been a real pleasure from day one, it has been a pleasure living with the car from day to day, week to week with no problems at all, knowing it would taking me all over Scandinavia and Europe hassle free.

Some positive remarks will be good space for the passenger's legs in the backseat, good space for rear faced child seats, good and practical luggage space and it is one of the safest cars on the marked!

The local dealer in Stavanger has also been great, they gave good prices and have been really service minded when I have contacted them.

Great car, great specification, buy one and you will not regret it.

Review Date: 10th October, 2003

29th Nov 2003, 20:34

Is the Toyota Avensis available with a Diesel engine and automatic transmission?

I don't think so.

If so it would be a nice taxi.

26th Mar 2004, 17:41

That's no Diesel in the pictures. It's the directly injected 2.0 fuel engine. The diesel engine is called D-4D.

29th Mar 2004, 02:32

Sorry the diesel engine is not available with automatic transmission!

Another sad ting is the fact that TTE (Toyota's Racing Team) don't provide a original chip-set to the Avensis diesel engine. If you by a Toyota RAV 4 with diesel engine, Toyota can supply you with an original chip-set that increases the engine from 116 hp and 280 Nm to 150 hp and 320 Nm, and you will still keep the original 3 year warranty from the manufacturer.

12th Sep 2005, 02:32

I have now owned this car for 2 ½ year, and I am not that happy any more...

1) Main front lights has been changed 3 times… due to dew.

2) Toyota wants and insists on changing out the main light bulbs from normal to so called long life bulbs. I tried that, and the luminous intensity was reduced with approx. 25%... there was a real fight to get them reassemble to the Normal light bulbs. So if any one out there having poor light on your Avensis, change over to normal light bulb. The only sad factor with normal bulb is a bit shorter operating time…, but it’s worth it.

3) There was some noise in the steering worm, which was replaced…

4) The brakes are whistling when braking, and Toyota doesn’t seem to be able to fix this…

5) Finally the driving computer has started to show wrong values….

I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed since there have been so much minor faults with a new Toyota. The local Toyota dealer in Stjoerdal (Norway) is probably the worst car dealer in Norway, I have never experienced more lack of service than there.

I am really thinking of getting a new car before the warranty is going out in September 2006.

26th Mar 2009, 04:07

The Avensis 2003 with D4D engine IS available with automatic transmission. We have them here in Israel.