2003 Toyota Avensis T4 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unworthy of the money I paid

Brake shoes rusting (repainted again, which fell off).

Brake discs (front) replaced before first pads worn.

Both keys replaced.

Front underside tyre panel fell off.

Alloy wheels flaked and bubbled.

Fault in steering (recalled twice).

Rattle in panel.

Now rattle in steering and vibration at 60mph, even after new tyres.

General Comments:

This is one of the worst cars I have ever had, systematic repairs one after another. My previous cars Peugeot and Citroen, had not a fraction of the repairs this car requires.

Toyota after the warranty did not want to know. I was offered replacement alloys for £500 because the paint was bubbling and flaking. I now have a rattle, possibly in the steering area and vibration starting at 60mph.

One repair after another.

I will never buy another Toyota again.

Review Date: 5th October, 2007

7th Oct 2007, 15:49

You've been really unlucky, I think you must've had a lemon car!

My wife ran an 03-plate Avensis D4-D T4 from about 22k miles up to around 96k miles as a co. car in the space of about 18 mths, and apart from it being slightly underpowered we found it great.

Up til recently I was in car sales for 10 yrs, and in my opinion in their class, these cars ride, handle and perform very well. They're also well built, and very reliable. I'd like to get one back again as she now runs a Saab which is no-where near as good!

I sold the following new--Ford, Vauxhall, Daihatsu, Kia, Honda, Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge. In my opinion, only Honda's come close as an overall package.

However, our dealer was crap, and completely cocked up when they replaced rear bushes and got all the geometry wrong, but I blame the dealer, not Toyota as a manufacturer.

You sure you just didn't have a crap dealer? And don't you think it's rather narrow minded to say you'll never buy another Toyota just because of one experience, kinda like saying you'll never have sex again becuase you didn't like it once!

8th Oct 2007, 00:14

I agree with above comment. Toyota as manufacturers are superior to the PSA group, just look at all the satisfaction/reliability surveys.

2003 Toyota Avensis T3-S 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Thoroughly recommended

Both headlights have been replaced following botched attempts to replace blown bulbs by a Service Centre. Headlight bulb replacement is not a DIY job-I would suggest that this is a design fault/safety issue.

General Comments:

Other than the headlight bulbs, the car has been 100% reliable. It has a very solid feel to it, is comfortable, and eats up miles on long journeys.

Out and out performance is not particularly outstanding, but the 1.8 petrol engine is very economical and an excellent performance/fuel economy compromise.

The interior is cavernous, especially with the rear seats down on my hatchback version.

Review Date: 8th May, 2005

2003 Toyota Avensis Break 2.0 D4D from Belgium

Summary:

Reliable, but with some disturbing features

One of the Headlights had to be replaced twice already, the other once. They cannot be replaced by the driver, which makes the repair quite expensive.

General Comments:

This car is very safe, and the engine is reliable.

Fuel consumption is not as low as advertised, or as indicated on the display, but remains acceptable for such a heavy car (6,5 liters/100km highway).

Acceleration in the lowest two gears is slow. Power becomes only available at relatively high rpm.

Review Date: 11th March, 2005

11th Feb 2006, 04:34

I've just recently bought a used 2003 53 reg Avensis T4 and in the space of 2 months had both headlights replaced, a lock needed replacing on a back door, it wouldn't open from the inside, paint has flaked off the tailgate, the interior trim creaks when going over bumps, all four brake disc's have had to be skimmed.

The most disturbing thing about this car is the roof, minute stone chips? have turned into areas of rust. These are all over the roof area, even where the roof slopes away at the back.

I have owned Toyota's for over 25 years and the last one I owned for 8 years without a sign of rust.

The car at first glance appears to be a much better car than the one I replaced, but after 2 months I wish I had kept the old one.