2004 Toyota Avensis 2.0 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great

Nothing yet, I'm sure there will be nothing as long as I look after it.

General Comments:

I have always wanted to own a Toyota. It took me a while to choose this one; I'm pleased with my choice.

There is, in all aspects a very good feeling in this car when I drive it, the fuel consumption and the safety rating, as well as the stability control feature.

Review Date: 12th June, 2010

12th Jan 2013, 01:20

Reliable, and it's comfortable to drive the D4D. I got the estate version with fully loaded extras. Absolutely a nice car!

2004 Toyota Avensis D4D turbo diesel from Spain

Summary:

A jewel on four wheels

Nothing wrong so far.

General Comments:

Bought second hand with 70000km. Now almost 100000km. Not a single problem with the now 6 years old car.

The car is very safe (5 stars EuroNCAP, ESC), practical (mine is a liftback), reliable, comfortable and incredibly thrifty: I average an incredible 5.5 l/100km ("paper and pencil" calculation, not the overoptimistic on-board computer).

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I must add that enjoy enormously how great this car looks.

Minor complaints: The bumpers get dented too easily, and the climate controls are awfully designed (small buttons, weak light for the A/C) and placed (in the depths of the center console).

I plan to keep this jewel of a car in my garage for a long, long time.

Review Date: 8th April, 2010

2004 Toyota Avensis Sol 1.8 from F.Y.R.O. Macedonia

Summary:

Trash!!! Huge trash!!! With a LABEL :)

IT IS AMAZING WHAT MARKETING COULD MAKE.

The whole story of Toyota reliability and so on is a huge deception! Don't believe the TV and the stories.

My Toyota Avensis had 2 major defects, one on the steering wheel (although a recall - nobody let me know), which might seriously put your life in danger, and one on the whole engine.

In no marketing story did anybody mention that Toyota's 1.8 engines could rarely achieve 50,000 miles or so!!!

It has also been a recall on this (again nobody mentioned that) and an "extended warranty".

Known problem when the engine (I know 1.8, most probably other engines as well) leads to huge oil consumption (4 liters on 300km) due to a factory mistake.

Toyota is willing to dismantle the whole engine, replace parts here and there, and let you have the same back (the value of the car substantially destroyed - it's not of their business).

After this shock and the one with the steering wheel, I have informed all possible customer care services of Toyota, even the headquarters in Japan, however, nobody seems to care. They just let you go from one place to another until you lose the general idea and the will to ask for help.

I have heard of many cars, though it is almost unheard for an engine to last 50000 km only!

Don't BELIEVE THE HIGHLY PAID MARKETING. Chinese cars are space shuttles compared to this "quality make".

Don't give your money to someone who cares for you as long as the ink on the purchase agreement is still fresh!

General Comments:

- LAST NO MORE THAN 50,000 KM

- No need to comment anything extra, right? :)

Review Date: 20th July, 2009

2004 Toyota Avensis from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A good car, but uncharacteristically for Toyota, it has a number of defects

Rear suspension has come loose, leaving the wheel with a bad wobble. This dangerous defect was discovered only in NCT testing. It is a defect that should not happen in a 4 year old car. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

General Comments:

This is a very comfortable car with quality seats. However, fuel consumption is about 20% more than in the previous Avensis model.

Review Date: 31st July, 2008

2004 Toyota Avensis T Spirit 2.4 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not brilliant value for money and not rock-solid reliable

Husband driving on main road and tilt sunroof shattered with explosive bang. No vehicles in front so very unlikely it was a stone, which would have hit the windscreen.

Satellite navigation system rarely works, even a new replacement didn't.

Odd electronic faults, e.g. warning light and buzzer came on and I had to call AA as manual said immediate help required. But no reason for the alarm.

General Comments:

This car bought for reliability, i.e. I would not have to keep taking it back to garage. I now know why Toyota scored below Honda for reliability.

Review Date: 7th April, 2007