1996 Toyota Carina GLi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Big and comfortable, slow with an auto box

Only one thing, the power steering rack needed replacing.

General Comments:

Comfortable car, very spacious in the back with a huge boot. Nice on the long trips.

But...

Horrifically, embarrassingly slow to pull away from traffic lights, or going up any kind of hill. On more than one occasion, I was overtaken by lorries going up hills, because I simply couldn't make it move faster. My Carina had a 1.6 engine and an automatic gearbox, which is perfectly adequate for a small car, but not for a big barge like that. I took it for a test drive, thinking I could live with its lack of performance, but in the event I couldn't.

Power steering rack failed on me shortly after I purchased it. I have since learned that this is a common problem on Carina E models, but I failed to do my homework this time. Had to top it up frequently with P.A.S. fluid to keep it going, but to its credit, it never stopped actually working.

The fuel economy was poor, even with gentle driving. Apart from that though, nothing else went wrong.

Bought it June 2011 for £500, sold as scrap October £150. We learn by our mistakes.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2011

1996 Toyota Carina GLi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nice cruiser, Brilliantly reliable. Will be kept until she gives up the ghost

I use the car as a taxi, and though it has had its minor issues, overall I'm happy with her.

New radiator 130,000 (the original radiator).

That's about it, the rest has been service work, it never fails to start. Hot or cold.

Starting to burn a bit of oil, though nothing out of the ordinary for a car with 137000 miles.

General Comments:

Nicely designed, great city car, comfy and quiet. She like a sup; for €50 I'd see 250 miles, not the best, but I do have a bit of a heavy foot.

The interior is a bit dull, but ergonomically laid out.

Review Date: 11th March, 2009

1996 Toyota Carina LEI 2.0 from Chile

Summary:

Superb, smooth, elegant and fast car

I just got it and I am making sure to fix minor details such as a clicking noise from the left front wheel.

10 to 12 km per litre (city use, it seems to perform better on the highway) is not as good as the 14 to 17 km per litre you get on a Toyota Tercel, but this is a 2.0 L engine and a more robust car that consumes more fuel.

General Comments:

This was sold as the Corona in Chile and other places, but in the UK is known as the Carina.

This Corona was built in the UK. It is the GLI version with sunroof, dual airbag, electric windows on 4 doors, air conditioning, power steering, automatic transmission with power and snow features plus overdrive (superb when power is required), alarm and electric door locks. Electric mirrors. UV filter or tinted windows. Came with an Alpine radio with option for a CD Jukebox. Adjustable Headlights and steering wheel. Remote trunk and fuel tank release. Excellent interior look.

Excellent car so far, rides smooth. Street noise well isolated.

Review Date: 28th October, 2005

1996 Toyota Carina 2.0 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Tough reliable long-lived glider

I've had the car for 4 years and 135,000 miles. I treat it like dirt and regularly tow p to two tonnes. It has had a new bearing on the front left, a new hub on the front left, a new clutch, the radiator leaked and I've had new brake pads.

General Comments:

The interior is still perfect. It handles over Mayo (Ireland) roads (where new models are tested for suspension) perfecctly. It goes for 4 or 5 thousand miles even when something is broken and hanging off. It still does over 44 miles to the gallon (10 miles to litre, 16K to litre). I tow trailers regularly. Of all the early to mid 90s cars on the road around here it is the most common. Its not a draught-horse. Its not a thoroughbred, but Its the sweetest hardy-est, gentle-est hacker around.

Review Date: 18th October, 2005