1989 Toyota Celica GT from North America

Summary:

Special

Transmission leaks a bit, just replaced distribut0r coil and fuel temperature sensor. Needs new motor mounts. Upholstery has a couple of worn spots.

General Comments:

I Love this CAR! I have had almost 20 years now and tell everyone I will probably be buried with it. The body paint still looks brand new and still has the original cloth top (convertible).

Review Date: 13th August, 2008

1989 Toyota Celica GTR 4WS 2.0 DOHC from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Reliable car that looks great for a 1989

Alternator needed replacing 183000km.

Replaced cam belt at 188000km.

1 Outer CV joint snapped at 185000.

Sunroof has come off rollers and can't fix.

Air con has leaked all gas and doesn't go (to be expected at car this age)

Obvious knocking sound in front suspension (anyone heard of this?)

General Comments:

This car is a japanese import. It's the ST183 3SGE DOHC 16v, putting out 165HP at the flywheel. It's not bad for a 2.0L. But who buys a Celica for power?

It has loads of torque especially for a non-turbo 4 cylinder. The majority of its power is between 3000-5000rpm, which is great because you don't need to red line for a bit of power. Not exactly neck snapping power, but enough.

Top speed wise, I have no idea. I took it well off the clock once. I'd say we were going about 205km/hr. I'd say it would reach 220km/hr, but I'm not keen to find out.

It's okay on gas. Not great for NZ standards as we don't drive thirsty bathtubs like the US. If you drive it nicely it is economical. Especially on 100km/hr roads.

I love the four wheel steering. It's great for parking.

Adjustable suspension stays on hard because soft makes me feel seasick.

The seats rock. The electric sides and lumber support are awesome. The seat can hug you. How many cars hug the driver.

Like all Toyotas, it's a piece of cake to change the oil and filter. Filter is mounted on front of engine.

Nothing much else to say about it. I like the car, I'm not in love with it. But I payed $2300NZ for it which is stuff all. So for the price I feel it's a great car.

Review Date: 10th October, 2005

1989 Toyota Celica ST 2.2 Twin Cam from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A fun sporty car backed up by friendly fuel economy!

Blown Head Gasket.

Light Up Display Flickered On & Off.

Worn out dashboard.

2 dead bulbs.

Minor Panel dints.

General Comments:

I love this car ever since I bought it 2nd hand for $3700 which was not long ago.

Its Comfortable though not suitable for adult seating in the back.

Always feels sporty by the way it sits low and its revvy engine.

Power is quite strong for being a non-turbo, and gear changing is a breeze.

This car is very fuel efficient.

The head gasket blew, due to the kilometres it had done (281000) by the previous owner, a bit of wear & tear in the interior such as cracking dash and rubber seals, but I don't mind because of the price I got for it and I will repair all these things, and the rest such as seats and gadgets all works fine.

Reconditioning the engine at the moment, after the repairs I know this car will always last me for a very long time being for Toyota's excellent Reliability.

I love driving this car and its fun wherever I go!

Review Date: 28th October, 2004

1989 Toyota Celica GTS from North America

Summary:

Good choice

Outer CV joints replaced at 150000.

Manual transmission leaks at 160000.

Air Conditioning went out at 140000.

Environment controls for interior is started failing intermittently at 150000.

Rusting away to nothing.

Other than above everything else is still original equipment.

General Comments:

The last few years I haven't taken very good care of this car and still it runs.

It doesn't drive like a 4 cyl Performs much better.

Gets nearly 35mpg.

This car spent most of it's life in the Chicago area and repeated attempts to try and control the rust, were unsuccessful.

Review Date: 11th October, 2004