1999 Toyota Celica GT 2.2 gasoline from North America

Summary:

A stylish and fun ride

Even though it was driven hard and raced regularly, I didn't encounter a single problem.

2nd gear was notchy at times and would sometimes stick when shifting at high rpm.

General Comments:

The car is relatively quick and can out-handle almost any other front wheel drive sport compacts.

The interior quality is top notch and on par with cars nearly twice the price.

It's leather bucket seats are extremely comfortable and supportive.

Seating and shifter position are perfect.

Exterior styling is simply beautiful.

It's Camry engine was very reliable, but did not suit the car's sporty character.

The engine would often run out of breath at around 5,800 rpm.

Safety is beyond excellent. I was hit near head on by a Caprice wagon speeding at nearly 55 mph. I was completely unharmed. The locking seatbelt saved my face from the airbag and the front crumple zones absorbed all of the impact. The car was unfortunately totaled.

Review Date: 20th June, 2003

1999 Toyota Celica SXR 2.0 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Reliable and economical, a pleasure to drive

I have only had one fault, the CD player began skipping, this occurred within weeks of buying the car. This was replaced under warranty. No problems have been encountered since then.

General Comments:

I have found the Celica to be an excellent, if not outstanding vehicle. I have owned numerous vehicles. Having acquired this vehicle brand new, I have had no mechanical faults at all. A faulty CD, which was replaced under warranty being the only fault I have encountered.

The vehicle handles extremely well, very sure footed, especially in the wet.

I constantly obtain 7-8 litres per hundred kilometers around town, 6 on a country trip.

Driver position, seats and controls all comfortable and practical.

Highly recommend this model to all.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2003

25th Sep 2008, 19:30

The review is great - I am thinking of buying the 1999 Toyota Celica SXR. This review has greatly increased my will to buy this fantastic car. 10/10.

1999 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8 VVT-LI from North America

Summary:

The Celica is back!!!

My airbag light came on and was repaired in one day with a free loaner car.

The sliding cover for the sunroof came apart once, but I fixed it myself and it has never happened since.

General Comments:

The car handles great, but could use 17" rims on the GT-S and a slightly lower stance.

Acceleration is excellent except you really have to keep on the gas when shifting to second, or it will drop out of the power band.

Toyota ergonomics cannot be beat, the seats feel just right and all of the controls FEEL like they belong where they are, not just placed randomly.

The steering is precise and mild understeer for a FWD car.

I do not have the infamous scratches from the seatbelt latch, I think that is mostly due to people flinging the buckle back trying to get out in a hurry ;-).

There is a lot of plastic in the cabin, but no more than any other make, and it is very aesthetic.

The GT-S stereo is very sweet right out the box, but could use a little nicer setup like the '99 Celica convertible which has a true 8 speaker setup with 8" woofers in the doors.

Stock tires are very sticky, won't last a long time, but they are very tight!

The car gets 36 MPG on the interstate @75MPH and 30 in the city..

Review Date: 6th April, 2002

1999 Toyota Celica GS 2.2 DOHC injected from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Best looking car Toyota ever made

Nothing.

General Comments:

This car has 100kW of power and 196Nm of torque, but only weighs about 1150kg. It's serious performance - always divide the power by the weight when comparing other cars.

I call 3rd gear "the afterburner".

The handling is as good as it gets and noticeably better than my wife's Integra VTEC. I also used to have an Integra, a great car, but don't regret the change at all.

The Celica's styling is timeless and beautiful. Even Porsche drivers always give it a second look. Compare it to the weird looking replacement Toyota came up with in 2000.

Interior is great. It has a wrap around cockpit, unlike the new model in which the centre console actually faces away from the driver!

Features include dual airbags, ABS brakes, air conditioning, 15" alloy wheels (including the spare), cruise control, 6 speaker CD stereo, etc.

Toyota should have stuck with this Celica. The only changes I would make would be a 3.0 litre engine (it has a 2.2), 17" alloys (one day...) and leather seats (ditto).

Review Date: 15th May, 2001